I now have an official "least favorite thing" about ponds....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a beautiful water lily, but since the pond renovation, it lost all its leaves and the new ones get eaten as soon as they form! My koi have never bothered that plant before, it usually starts to surface before the koi are fully active (and hungry) so it has a head start.
I'm wondering if it can survive like this under water, with nothing at the top, until next Spring?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dividing lilies that are planted in litter, etc is definitely nasty! Most of mine are bare root except the hybrids and new ones I got this year. They will need to be divided next year as I didn't do any thing with them this year except fertilize. Flushing out bog almost as bad!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine escape every year, they grow toooooo darn well. When I put them to bed for the winter I do a lot of excess tuber yanking. Not repotting just cut off the escapees.

I'm wondering if it can survive like this under water, with nothing at the top, until next Spring?
I planted some new lilies, a few years back, in the fall. All they had were some tiny leaf sprouts. They did great the next spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's a stinky job @Mmathis but somebody's gotta do it! I actually wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't always need to be done when the water was so cold!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started wear dish washing type gloves, got tired of my hands being black after working on them. I drag the lilies out of the pond to work on them, when it is cold, use my pot grabber. It goes out around 18 feet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine escape every year, they grow toooooo darn well. When I put them to bed for the winter I do a lot of excess tuber yanking. Not repotting just cut off the escapees.

I planted some new lilies, a few years back, in the fall. All they had were some tiny leaf sprouts. They did great the next spring.
Thanks for giving me hope!
They are now 4 1/2' deep, a foot and a half deeper, than they used to be, you think it's too deep?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I started wear dish washing type gloves, got tired of my hands being black after working on them. I drag the lilies out of the pond to work on them, when it is cold, use my pot grabber. It goes out around 18 feet.
What is a pot grabber?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
other peoples pets .Last night there was a small kitten by my pond .My neighbor does not take there garbage away for 3 or 4 months and then a trailer and a truck or so full ,so guessing they got cats and kittens to keep mice away .I have seen 3 full sized cats over there and now this kitten .What i hate is seeing the plants die ,I know then winter is close .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks for giving me hope!
They are now 4 1/2' deep, a foot and a half deeper, than they used to be, you think it's too deep?
Yup. Start them @ 2', then lower them as they grow. Many won't do well below 4', but there ARE exceptions.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For more information regarding the reason for this thread..... Here's the link to the the thread that started it all and my follow-up.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/water-lily-care-questions.20114/

But at least it's over [for this year, LOL!], and I have 4 pots sitting in the bottom of the pond awaiting a spring revival! Now, I can't wait for spring!

Ask a Question