I sed "Ta heck with it".....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
And am glad I did. I got tired of fighting what seemed to be a losing battle against algae, and murky water. So, I installed a bog, and let nature go at it. What happens, happens. I started this pond 2, mabe 3 years ago. I fought floating algae, for the entire time. By floating algae, I mean that stuff that turns your water green, and you can't see past the first half inch. When I first started this mess, I installed a dozen bait minnows. I have one survivor, the others didn't last the first week. About 3 months later, my son brought me 4 goldfish. I just dumped them in, and went about my business. They all survived the winter, and did well last year. They grew to an awsome size. Well, I'd been keeping close tabs on water quality, and clarity the whole time. Pretty much working myself to the bone. Chasing PH, and clarity mostly. Well, last fall, I decided that I would install a bog, and let nature take it's course. Right now, the water is kinda clear, (I can see bottom, but still a bit murky). The water lilies are breaking surface, I have a "blue eyed grass" with a flower, the tomatoes are starting to bloom, there's string algae everywhere, and all seems to be well. I have seen no fewer than six Salamanders, myriad tadpoles, a frog that's just about eating size, and the Dragon flies are laying eggs.
I've done nothing but scoop out floating debris, and feed the fish, this year. And that's all I'm gonna do, unless there's a leak, or I decide to add more plants. I've not added any bacteria, like I have in the past, and I probably won't. Other than bacteria, I've never added any kind of chemical. No, wait, I did add some "pond blue" stuff once. To no avail. I lost one of my goldfish to a predator some time in the past month. But, that's what happens, I suppose.

The minnow came from a dozen "Crappie minnows", (those who fish in the south will know what I'm talking about), The goldfish were about 2". I now have 3 six inch goldfish, and one six inch minnow. Along with the other critters mentioned above. Oh, I almost forgot Snails. No clue where they came from, same with the salamanders. but they are there. I'm gonna skim the surface regularly, and otherwise let nature do what it does. We'll see what happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
ive read here that if using a filter, regular 20% water changes help ,and if using a well planted bog filter, rain fall and nature do the rest
to keep the water clear ,as im only new to this ponding game, im using a bio filter( i think thats what its called)and like you am hoping for the best ,i dont mind the daily scooping of leaves floating on the water as i believe my pond is to small for a skimmer and it only takes a few moments anyhow,
as you say yourself you added a bog filter and you can now see the bottom but its still a bit murky
1 do you have a pre filter on your pump
2 are you getting run off into your pond
3 is your bog big enough for the pond
as and since you added the bogfilter everything seems to be shaping up

Ask a Question