I should have taken pictures

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I hadn't been racing to finish before the storm started, I would have taken some photos. This afternoon I did my once a year DIY "microbe-lift" to the pond. I turn off the pump and aerator and sprinkle sodium percarbonate all over the surface of the pond, the rocks, the waterfall - anything that's wet gets a coating of the magic powder. Within just a few minutes, the surface of the pond is covered with floating debris that gets "lifted" from the bottom. I just run my net over the surface and pull out leaves and other organic debris that just keeps bubbling up to the surface. Doesn't bother the fish or the frogs and I end up with a debris-free pond bottom! At the mid-point it looks terrible - the water gets all murky and brown and you think "uh oh. This isn't going to end well". But the end result is beautiful, and it doesn't harm the algae on the rocks or any of the pond surfaces.

Microbe-lift used to sell a product called Spring and Fall Pond Cleaner - or something like that. It was $30 for a one pound package. I really liked it, but it was a lot of money just to get the pond bottom cleaned up. When I realized that it was just sodium percarbonate in a fancy package, I bought it myself in bulk for just over a dollar a pound. They also package it as Eco-Blast to clean string algae off rocks and waterfalls. Great stuff!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do a bit at a time, i.e. area, the junk comes up fast. I have not done that in many years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought Sodium Percarbonate is antibacterial so would that kill off the good bacteria too? I heard it was good for cleaning bird baths. I never used it so just a question. I like the fact that it can lift the debris but I see that getting into my filters and lifting stuff off the bio ribbon media too. Do you shut done everything then add it or do you keep everything running? Any ratio you recommend?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I have used it, I have everything off. I do a area around 6x6 feet at the most. About a minute or less later the stuff rises to the surface. I "THINK" it goes inert after the first hit. I just toss it in like you would scatter seed, wear gloves btw! I toss in around 3-4 handfuls at a time, scattering it across the surface.

With my hornwort I have not used it, the hornwort also floats to the surface, does not harm it but then it needs to settle again.
I have also used it to clean deck wood, does a great job!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - just like @addy1 said. I turn everything off so the water is still and then wait for all the junk to rise to the top. The minute it hits the water it breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and soda ash. I think I used maybe 3 or 4 cups worth over the entire pond - that includes the waterfall rocks as well. I just sprinkle it so the whole surface is lightly covered. It has antibacterial properties, but the dose is so small it's like pouring in a few quarts of 3% H2O2. I honestly don't even wear gloves and it's never bothered my hands. I'm just careful not to breathe it in.

You can use it to clean pretty much anything that gets green algae - roofs, decks, patios, driveways, bird baths and water features, etc. I buy it from a soap making supplier. The last time I bought it, I got a 50 lb bucket which will last me for years. That batch was a bit more expensive than the bags I've bought in the past because there was a hazardous materials shipping fee and I got a really nice bucket with a screw on lid with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Oxidizing organics is a method of breaking down organic material into a different form so it can be removed a little more easily.
Nothing wrong with it, just be aware of what you are doing, and why. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oxidizing organics is a method of breaking down organic material into a different form so it can be removed a little more easily.
Nothing wrong with it, just be aware of what you are doing, and why. :)

Why does it make everything float @MitchM ? What's the science behind it?

Ask a Question