I think I need to thin out my plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
This is the sixth year of my new pond, and the plants have simply taken over! The biggest culprits of my dissatisfaction are the giant irises and the lizard tail. Here's a shot from July, two years ago that shows how bad it was already getting...

IMG_8342.JPG

The irises on the right side are growing to well over 6 feet tall. You can see the lizard tail right in front of them, just image about 3x as much plant that is as tall as the fence. Of course the fish absolutely love it all because they have so much to hide under during the Summer, but most of the time I can't see them, even when they are swimming in the shallows. Also note that this picture only shows one leg of the pond, and there is very little open water.

I'm thinking my only hope is to start with removing about 3/4 of the lizard tail (can't get rid of it completely, I really love that plant!), and removing all of the giant iris. Then I can take the smaller irises and spread them around that back side, and try to find other plants for the front edges. I used to have a few types of grasses growing in the water as well... I *think* they're still in there, just buried behind everything else.

I found a nice large water lily at a local store yesterday. Got it buried in the sandy bottom, but I just don't think there's going to be enough direct sunlight for it until I clear back some plants. My hyacinths are completely gone, probably for the same reason. I'll probably have to get started clearing out plants this season.

So I guess I'm looking for suggestions on plants again. I'm in zone 5, Winters can get down into the negative-20's but I keep the water flowing all year. I have this fantastic umbrella plant, grows VERY aggressively if you don't contain it, and I might use some of it to frame in the waterfall, however it also gets pretty big -- about 3' tall free-standing, but the leaves get around 5 feet long and hang down into the water. A variety of grasses/rushes would be great, I could plant some along the edge, but does anyone know of some that will grow in at least a foot of water?

If I can get some lilies growing again, that would provide shelter for the fish in the deeper water. I don't want to eliminate their hiding spots and cool shady areas, but I do need to be able to get more sun on the water, and it would be nice to be able to see the pond again from the back side of the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Pfft... no kidding! I thought the plants around the yard grew fast, but they have nothing on water plants feeding off of fish waste. Those huge irises started out from a clump of about half a dozen, and I have already cut them in half and given away the extras once before, but I just think they're too big for the size of my yard and pond, and I need to scale back to more reasonably-sized plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They never stop growing from March until frost! I need to do a rip and yank, in my bog area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's crazy how fast they creep up on you - don't turn your back or you'll be engulfed!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just be careful when thinning your plants. Don't thin too much. I did that one year and then I didn't have enough plants to handle the nutrients and I had an algae bloom that lasted almost two months!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Shdwdrgn , your pictures remind me of a pond I saw on Koiphen... the groundcover grew over his rocks, down them, floating on top of the stream, then grew back up on the other side of the stream... It was just all yellow flowers. ya couldn't even see the stream. ;) :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
@Shdwdrgn , your pictures remind me of a pond I saw on Koiphen... the groundcover grew over his rocks, down them, floating on top of the stream, then grew back up on the other side of the stream... It was just all yellow flowers. ya couldn't even see the stream. ;) :D

I used to have a huge amount of creeping jenny around my pond, covering up most of the bare spot. A couple years ago most of it just kinda disappeared. I wish I knew what happened to it, but I do still have areas where it is growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I finally got some updated pics tonight so you can see what I'm dealing with. Other that the opening in front of the waterfall, most of the water is pretty well covered...

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_9156.JPG

Even trying to look at the stream, it is mostly covered. You can't even see the water on the other side of the bridge to the left.
IMG_9163.JPG

And there's just nothing at all to see from the back side...
IMG_9166.JPG

So my idea here is to get rid of most of the giant iris (I might try planting some in the dirt on either side of the waterfall though) and a good portion of the lizard tail. The I will move around the rest of the irises so the smaller stuff is to the left of the waterfall, and still have the taller plants on the back side. I'm not sure what to do with the bull rushes -- I like them, but they are well over 7 feet tall.

Hopefully with the new arrangement of plants, I can try working on the ground cover again, and get a bit more light into the water for some water lilies. The idea is to better *frame* the pond without completely covering it up. The fish won't be as happy, but there will still be plants all around the edge of the pond that they can hide under, and the lilies should make them feel protected again.

Unfortunately very little of this will happen this year. Too many projects going on right now, and I've spent what time I could just fixing up the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Graceful cattail is much better suited to an ornamental pond, modest size and growth rate.

Japanese iris ditto, compared to the huge brute Yellow Flag.

While fast foliage, fast growing plants have their use when a pond is new and empty, when they become clumps that would beat Hulk Hogan into submission it may be time to replace them with something a tad better behaved

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I can relate to what you have going on with your plants. I also need to pull alot of iris and grasses out of the pond. I can't see the rock on the back side of the pond anymore. On the good side, I haven't had algae in the pond for a few years.

Ask a Question