I think it's is a bad idea. What do you think?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
My neighbor has had a stream, waterfall, pond in the making for the last TEN years. Finally got it done a couple weeks ago after a lot of questionable construction techniques it came out pretty good and has a great sound. But here's the thing, he's NOT going to run any of it continuously, installed a switch on the deck to flip it on/off when he wants to. So far I haven't heard it run very often. How long before those thousands of gallons of water turn putrid and needs a complete change? When the pumps off all the water sits in the bottom pond in full sun. Water's not cheap here anymore.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My neighbor has had a stream, waterfall, pond in the making for the last TEN years. Finally got it done a couple weeks ago after a lot of questionable construction techniques it came out pretty good and has a great sound. But here's the thing, he's NOT going to run any of it continuously, installed a switch on the deck to flip it on/off when he wants to. So far I haven't heard it run very often. How long before those thousands of gallons of water turn putrid and needs a complete change? When the pumps off all the water sits in the bottom pond in full sun. Water's not cheap here anymore.

Invite him to join this forum where perhaps he will learn something :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Depends on how much organic material accumulates and what the water temperature is.
Hopefully it will become more offensive to your neighbour before it affects you too badly and he decides he should be providing 24/7 water circulation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
10 years in the making, boy someone would be hard pressed to get me to ever shut if off.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Ok, this JUST happened... He texts me and asks, "are you home right now"? - Ya. - "I think I left the pump on and I'm at work freaking out!"..- I don't hear it but will look.- "THANK YOU". So I send him a pic of the still pond.
Now I'm wondering why he thinks it would harm it to stay on for a while, unless he's not got a proper pond pump. Or the water runs out of the stream at some point.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Since I know he's not home, got a pic! Don't laugh Rob!
035.jpg

That water already looks bad..
032.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh me oh my, such a tiny pond w/a gigantisaurus stream! He could just put a small circulating filter/pump in it and run the stream when he wants to. Does he have fish or is he going to?

Ask a Question