I tried to get rid of the fish but we have loads of fry. We dont feed them. They seem healthy. Are we being cruel? What do we need to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to get rid of the fish but we have loads of fry. We don’t feed them. They seem healthy. Are we being cruel? What do we need to do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m no fish expert, but I think that if you don’t feed and still have tons of fry, then your fish really like the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m no fish expert, but I think that if you don’t feed and still have tons of fry, then your fish really like the pond.
Thank you, it seems they do. If I do try to feed them they don’t eat the fish food.
There are maybe 50 and some are a couple of years old now.
I’m worried that when they all grow I’ll have a real problem on my hands?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Your question is vague — I think we need more information. What kind of fish do you have and are they in a natural or manmade pond? How big is the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I worry about the same things...I have 7 shubunkins that are constantly spawning...I have tons of fry plus tadpoles and my nitrate level is still zero so I am not worried. I do feed twice a day....My pond is only 900 gallons so it is a mystery that my nitrates are still zero. There are many here that do not feed their fish and therefor they eat the eggs when laid which controls the population...I have a small pond so there isn't as much natural food available for so many so that is why I am compelled to feed (plus my guys always act like they are starving)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

Your question is vague — I think we need more information. What kind of fish do you have and are they in a natural or manmade pond? How big is the pond
He, it’s a man made pond, probably 20 years old. The fish are koi.
The pond had has a filter system but I haven’t turned the filters on for two years, the same time we re-homed the koi.
The pond is 3ft deep and I think a couple escaped capture at the bottom and have given birth to the fry.
The pond has plants in it, some oxygenating and there are frogs and newts.
Everyone seems to be having a ball in there now but there are so many and some are getting upto 4 inches long.
I wonder what they’re eating and what I need to do to look after them in years to come.
The filter is old and I had to clean it weekly, I don’t plan to turn it on again.

I hope that’s a bit more info for you and I’m very great full you responded. Any advice would be appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I worry about the same things...I have 7 shubunkins that are constantly spawning...I have tons of fry plus tadpoles and my nitrate level is still zero so I am not worried. I do feed twice a day....My pond is only 900 gallons so it is a mystery that my nitrates are still zero. There are many here that do not feed their fish and therefor they eat the eggs when laid which controls the population...I have a small pond so there isn't as much natural food available for so many so that is why I am compelled to feed (plus my guys always act like they are starving)
I guess every pond environment comes with its own eco system. I’m glad you have found a balance. I love the pond and it’s wildlife although planned to live without the responsibility of having to look after fish.
Thanks for your response

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1650057437832.gif
@Reluctant fidh friend

Ask a Question