I want to build a new pond, but I do not know what depth it needs to be.

Reaction score
Hello!
As the title says, I do not know what the depth needs to be for a goldfish pond with about 3-5 goldfish, and a frog. I am in Texas, so it hardly ever freezes. I am not planning on having Koi, so it does not need to be koi deep, just goldfish deep.
Thank you!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

You're normally going to see folks will recommend at least 3 feet deep, and that's what I say, as well. I'm in Louisiana, and like you, we rarely freeze. But you still want it deep enough that it stays cool in the heat of summer. Lots of folks get by with much more shallow, but I wouldn't go any less than 2 feet.

So, a few more questions and some things to think about:
  1. full sun or shade? a shady area will help the water stay cooler
  2. what size as in dimensions, how many gallons are you considering? and are you limited in how large you can go?
  3. goldfish grow & have babies and can outgrow a small pond very quickly -- go as large as you are able to for your situation
  4. pre-built or flexible liner? You can adjust for depth easier with a liner
  5. every pond and every situation is different and advice you'll get will be different -- many members here have smaller and/or shallow ponds and never have problems
  6. predators may or may not be a problem ['coons, herons.....] -- some sources say that you need deeper than 2 1/2 feet 'cause that's the limit of the Great Blue heron's wading ability -- some sources say that a heron can get at your fish no matter how deep the water is -- but, a deeper pond does give your fish some place to go/hide to [hopefully] avoid predators

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
While you may not have to worry about freezing, you should consider heat. A deeper pond will stay cooler which your goldfish will appreciate. Plus, deeper is an easy way to add volume without increasing the footprint. How big are you planning?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I say 30" minimum. As TM posted, better protection from predators, more stable temps, and more room to grow.
If not planning on Koi at all 36" or maybe slightly deeper is about the limit I would go. Safer to work in if needed, not to deep to still be able to see the fish. Most lily's can still come up from the bottom and bloom without having to be placed on a shelf or ledge.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep depends on where it is and what size as mentioned .How many gph pump and what kind of filter also and if you have predators .Heat effects fish the same as cold .You either get a frozen fish stick or fried fish or boiled fish if in the sun all day

Reaction score
While you may not have to worry about freezing, you should consider heat. A deeper pond will stay cooler which your goldfish will appreciate. Plus, deeper is an easy way to add volume without increasing the footprint. How big are you planning?
My liner will be 14'x14', and I am planning a 5'x5' pond 2-3 feet deep.

Reaction score
yep depends on where it is and what size as mentioned .How many gph pump and what kind of filter also and if you have predators .Heat effects fish the same as cold .You either get a frozen fish stick or fried fish or boiled fish if in the sun all day
The pump is 800GPH with a 12"x12" box filter that I am going to put some bioballs in. The area that I am going to put the pond in gets about 4 hours of sunlight.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
may not be enough sun for plants but should be good for keeping algae down .The depth can also factor in because cold weather will freeze the pond surface and trap bad guess and heat will deplete oxygen in the pond .Plants give off oxygen during the day but use it up at night .Do you also plan on a water fall because a pump will need head height to get up to the water fall .Waterfalls are a good source of oxygen in a pond also

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Three feet is the depth I would go with. Actually, I personally went with 3.5'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly it depends on the harshness of your winters and how deep the frost line is , for koi a bare minimum of 4 ft is required

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I went 4 ft deep and half above and half below ground and need it for summer heat .

Ask a Question