I want to do a 55 gallon drum skippy type filter

Reaction score
I plan on putting the barrel about 60 feet away from the pond, I will use 1 1/2 pvc in and 2" out. I want to put the barrel behind a wooden fence type enclosure where my a/c and pool pump is located. I was wondering if there is any issues with a run this long.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well, there will be 9' of head hiegth to the pumps workload right off the bat. so take that into account when purchasing your pump. 10' of horizontal pipe equals 1' of vertical, plus the 3' of barrel hiegth. thats 60' away and the barrel sitting on the ground plus any other variables.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My filters sit behind a fence next to one end my pond
But return on the other end 40' away
Each filter i run is independent of each other because the 2" gravity outlet can only handle 450 to 500 gph at that distance going down and back up
If you ran a 3" pipe return you could go more like 1300 gph
You could use 4"sdr 35 sewer pipe if you want to return a large volume of water close to3000 gph

Welcome to the forum

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i looked at your profile and see that your pond is 1000 gals and concrete.. any chance youve got a bottom drain and you can access its plumbing under ground? if so you can extend that plumbing to the point where your filter will sit. locate your pump next to the filter.as long as you can keep your piping below the waterline in your pond.. external pump or submersable, the submersable will need a pump basin to set in..but this will eliminate alot of head heigth. your in Vegas so the freeze - thaw cycle isnt a real concern for you but the deeper you bury the better.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i looked at your profile and see that your pond is 1000 gals and concrete.. am i correct in assuming youve got a bottom drain and you can access its plumbing under ground? if so you can extend that plumbing to the point where your filter will sit. locate your pump next to the filter.as long as you can keep your piping below the waterline in your pond.. external pump or submersable, the submersable will need a pump basin to set in..but this will eliminate alot of head heigth.

No that isn't the case, I don't have a bottom drain, boy I wish I did. This pond is kidney shaped and was at my house when I moved in but it was filled in with dirt. I got it up and running last year. Everything is going well but I have a pretty big bio load i'm dealing with and it would be nice to have a filter that doesn't require that much attention.
Currently I'm running two pumps and filters, I have a laguna canister type and a pondmaster waterfall with the large filter pad inside. Because of the rounded edges of the pond I couldn't bury the waterfall like it was designed to be installled. The pondmaster pump has one of those prefilter sponges on it and I have to wring it out at least every third day. I'd like to get away from that chore, kinda hard go away for a few days.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
o.k then why dont you try a stock tank skippy filter, they are lower profile and can easily be stoned around as a waterfall. a 70 gal like i use should easily keep your fish happy and healthy. . they only set 2' high! check out my waterfall pix in the gallery

Reaction score
A couple pics of my pond

Attachments

• various pictures 067.jpg
    various pictures 067.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 429
  • Pond Pictures 008.jpg
    Pond Pictures 008.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC01645.jpg
    DSC01645.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 494
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
o.k then why dont you try a stock tank skippy filter, they are lower profile and can easily be stoned around as a waterfall. a 70 gal like i use should easily keep your fish happy and healthy. . they only set 2' high! check out my waterfall pix in the gallery
I'm hurting for space around my pond, it's surrounded by my deck, I ran the pvc under the deck to where I want to put a filter out of sight.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
I was thinking about doing that at first but didnt think I had the room by the pond. I tried to look at your waterfall pix but couldn't find it, i'm new here and don't really know my way around, I did see a youtube video on putting a waterfall box together

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
heres one with the top stone removed to show the waterfall weir, look at the hiacynths floating in the top of filter, with the rock on.. the filter is virtually invisable!!

Attachments

• SANY0847.JPG
    SANY0847.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 411
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
heres one with the top stone removed to show the waterfall weir, look at the hiacynths floating in the top of filter, with the rock on.. the filter is virtually invisable!!

Nice, I just returned from Ace Hardware with a new 70 gallon rubbermaid hehe

Ask a Question