I was wondering...

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I have a strange question.

Is there some reason a reverse osmosis (aka: undergravel) filter is never employed in a pond?

Perhaps something like a heavy duty plastic grate suspended 2 inches off the bottom of a pond that has a good main drain... then covered with larger rock pebbles. This would look good, be great for biological filtration, and be within reasonable cost.

I am imagining the 1/4 - 1/2 inch grid plastic grating panels that go over industrial lighting in drop panel ceilings or such. Just put little rubber capped bottom legs on them. Then get large smooth river rock pebbles. The kind used for landscaping.

Am I crazy here?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am not a reverse osmosis expert but I think it has a membrane that would get clogged quickly and may cost a lot to run.

Reaction score
Robyn said:
I have a strange question.

Is there some reason a reverse osmosis (aka: undergravel) filter is never employed in a pond?

Perhaps something like a heavy duty plastic grate suspended 2 inches off the bottom of a pond that has a good main drain... then covered with larger rock pebbles. This would look good, be great for biological filtration, and be within reasonable cost.

I am imagining the 1/4 - 1/2 inch grid plastic grating panels that go over industrial lighting in drop panel ceilings or such. Just put little rubber capped bottom legs on them. Then get large smooth river rock pebbles. The kind used for landscaping.

Am I crazy here?
reverse osmosis is not the same thing as an undergravel filter. I think you are confusing a reverse flow undergravel filter. Anyway undergravel filters are pretty oldschool even when it comes to aquariums. The technology in filters today far surpasses what undergravels used to do.

On the other hand reverse osmosis would not be practical for a pond because of many reasons including what DR. Dave said.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
OK... I was confused.

But I still question the undergravel filter idea. Not as the main filtration system... but as an asthetic possibility. My cichlid tank has an undergravel with 2 power heads on the uptakes (the tubes where many people place bubble stones) since cichlids like rapidly moving water, and a protein skimmer Whisper mounted filter. That sucker NEVER needs Pythoning (vacuuming) and has the most gorgeous water I have ever seen. Granted... power heads pull an awfully large amount of water!

I was simply wondering if it would make a gravel bottomed pond feasible. From what I have read, gravel bottomed ponds look great... at install. Then they easily get mucky, stinky, sludgey, algae ridden goo all over the gravel in them.

If a thin (just to cover the grate from being noticeable... one layer of rocks type) amount of rocks were placed raised over a good pulling main drain... would it reduce the clean-up factor of the pond while maintaining the natural look and feel of the thing?

I really am not planning on doing it. I was just brainstorming in my spare time. (I do not sleep much! LOL)

Reaction score
My landscaping nieghbor tried to talk me into putting rocks in my pond. I was like no way, I've seen what happens in there. He says my dads pond that I built is fine with the rocks, he never cleans it doesn't remove the leaves and never tests the water, and the fish are fine. So I just kinda blow it off, I don't put rocks in mine and I test my water frequently.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
So dumping a bunch of gravel and big rocks in the bottom of my pond was a bad idea, in that case I will say it was my wifes idea:icon_mrgreen: Should I pull it all out before I get the thing really going? I figured (I mean my wife:icon_mrgreen: figured) it would be more of a natural habitat for the fish we plan to have. Tell me what my pitfalls will be and if they can be overcome, please.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Depends on how big the pond is and how good a pond vacuum you can afford!

It DOES look nice. It is a gunk and debis accumulator that is hard to clean and can get nasty, smelly, and tiresome. Can throw your balance (water balance that is) off seasonally as well.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Rocks in the pond are not a good idea. :grumble:It disrupts the flow and gives debries a place to sit and rot. When that happens, it becomes septic. :pooh:
A good vacuum will suck up small rocks and the crap still remains under the larger ones.
Smooth bottom, lots of flow and plenty of filtration is key to keeping your pond healthy.:goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
So does this mean my ugly rubber pond bottom is a good thing?
I was going to order a load of pea stone to decorate the bottom. Somehow my water is now crystal clear- how'd that happen? I dislike the bare-naked look, but if it is better overall I'll deal until my plants take over...hmmmm it is nearthe middle of July and my pond isn't even covered 40%... :banghead3: RAIN! CLOUDS

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
After a while you wont even notice the black linner...
Just clear water and fish

Ask a Question