ICF forms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Anyone used the insulated concrete forms to build a pond? Then put in a liner?
Will be stronger than building block and insulated for the winter.

Reaction score
Its hard to get anything harder than a hole in the ground. Why the concrete? As far as insulating for the winter it doesn't matter. The top is going to freeze, and unless its deep enough it will freeze to the bottom. So as long as you have stable soil and not sand I would go with just the liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I will be on a hillside so require a retaining wall. It gets cold here in the winter -30C so with the above ground portion it will allow the pond to cool more if not insulated. Also a lot stronger than building block.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used them for my basement so they are pretty strong ,considering all the dirt they hold back .I used them on the back wall only because of the back yard is higher than the front .They have to have a coating over them to protect them inside and outside

Reaction score
If you decide to go with concrete you will need to go below the frost line and put in a footer. If not the ground will heave the walls and crack them. Building on a hill can be a problem but unless its a very steep hill you can avoid the problem by building a berm on the part that is above ground level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I would expect the foam on the water side of the wall would experience varying degrees of compression, but unless you got your liner crazy tight I doubt it would be a problem. I can see a lot of potential in those forms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
The downside I found is they are COSTLY. Cheaper to do with cinder block and add insulation on the concrete that is above the frost level.

Ask a Question