Ich ick in a tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I pulled a stupid move, adding fish I thought were good, without proper quarantine, and now I have ich. I suspect the new fish as they have it the worst. I added salt at 1 tsp per gallon, maybe a bit less, as I don’t keep the tank full, so guessing on total volume. Currently I’m in a small bind as I top off my betta cups using that aquarium water, And I did move guppies from that tank into the other tank two weeks or so ago. Which means I’ll need to treat two tanks, 5 betta containers, and once I set it up, a hospital tank.
So my big questions are- which medicine works best? The tank they are in does have plants and snails. I’m trying to think up a good qt tank for just the plants, as they are water lillies, I won’t just toss them. 2) can the ich parasite live in snails too? I can just toss those, no attachments there. Currently I have the bettas( sorority of 5 females, with male in separate container) in individual cups so they could recover from their dominance fights, I had the white one in the tank but removed her as she is showing signs of infection, and one of my blue girls apparently decided to ditch her cup and jump in. There are three tetras, and about 10 guppies in that tank, I lost one of the fancy female guppies, in my other 30 gallon tank I’ve got 1 very large pleco and maybe 5 guppies. The pleco tank isn’t showing signs of infection yet, but I salted it anyway. My thoughts right now are do daily water changes with salted water, remove the plants, set them up outside in a kiddy pool with no fish. Should I set up my 10 gallon hospital tank to treat the fish? Due to flooding, and finances, it may be a bit before I can do more than just salting the water for the fish.
My white betta is looking better today in her own cup of water. Any advice from folks who’ve had ick strike their tanks is appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve pulled the plants, fish aren’t too happy with my removing all their hidey holes! Found another dead one, and I removed the betta that had jumped in. So that’s 6 bettas in cups, 1 fancy guppy in its own gallon of salted water, and a tank that’s contaminated. I think I need to set up the 10 gallon for the tetras, they are in a tizzy at no shelter, and I don’t want to stress them. But that would mean I’d be short an air line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve worked it out, got two different meds, Kordon rapid attack, and jungle Ich Guard. I’ll try them out in separate tanks and let folks know how it goes, as well as reviews.

Ask a Question