ich on new fish

Reaction score
I have had 3 fish in quarantine for 3 weeks now and just noticed one of them has ich. I purchased medication called Nox-Ich that has malachite green in it. The guy at aquarium store said to add 10 drops a day for 3 days and turn the heat to 82 degrees. Does this sound about right? Never dealt with ich before so I am clueless . Wanted to check here before doing anything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, When treating for ich it is recommended to turn up the heat to speed up the life cycle of the parasite.

It should say on the bottle how to dose the medication. You need to know how many gallons of water you are treating and be sure not to over dose. I normally like to do a large water change prior to the first treatment and then again at the end. You may need to treat longer than three days. If you have carbon in your filter make sure to remove it as it will remove the medication from the water. Also make sure to use plenty of aeration during treatment.

Reaction score
the heat is at 82 and this is second day of treating,the bottle says to treat for 3 days. the fish with white spot keeps resting a lot on the bottom. Would it help to do a salt dip, if so how do I do it. I have a bottle of sea salt and also some aquarium salt but not sure how to do it. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't do a salt dip at this point as it might push an already sick and stressed fish over the edge.

When treating ich it will actually look worse before it looks better. Try not to let the temperature getting any warmer if you can help it. And don't forget with the warm water and medication it's important to use lots of aeration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Follow the instructions on the bottle. I would add lotsa aeration, I would add salt, and I would treat for 5 days at least not 3. Keep temperature between 80-82.

Reaction score
Sad to report the fish died. I started treating last Wednesday and finished with last treatment on Friday (said to treat 3 days) then it died on Saturday. The other 2 fish (still in quarantine) look good. All 3 fish had been in quarantine for 3 weeks before the one came down with spots. I did not have a heater in tank until I noticed the ich, when I went to purchased the ich treatment the guy at the pet store convinced me to buy a heater to speed up and kill the ich along with medication. The heater has been in and set on 82 for 7 days now. My question is how lond should it take before I can be sure the remaining 2 fish are ich free?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish....

When treating for ich I treat for at least 3-4 days after seeing the last evidence of parasites (treatment time will vary depending on the temperature of the water, longer for cooler water and shorter for warmer)

Reaction score
Thanks, its been 6 days since treatment and the 2 remaining fish have not shown any signs of ich,I think I will leave them in tank another week before putting them in pond just to be safe.

Ask a Question