Ich?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Noticed a white spot on the red cap fin. Any ideas what it is? Hope its not ich, I didnt see any flashing.

C3eDack.jpg

C3eDack

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_180527.jpg
    IMG_20180405_180527.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am not sure nore an expert but if i remember when my wife used the term ich was a some slime stuff on a fish we removed from the pond when we were cleaning the pond every spring. and no it it was not ich in the gross way. It was here grandpa's pond we relocated from pa to nj with same fish so i let her do her thing as she had albeit minor but more experience then i was she did here treatment not sure/remember what it was.

BUT i remember it was a mucus slimy coating when she mentioned it and treated it.

just a fyi i do not drain and clean the pond now I love my bog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay good to know that, thanks. However Its not on his head, its on the top fin.

Well see what happens when I'm reading the forum on my phone :rolleyes: The picture is small and not very clear. Sorry about that.

I enlarged the picture a bit and now see the spot on the fin ( although it still looks like a spot on the wen as well) either way it's not ich though. If it was you would see many more tiny dots of what looks like grains of salt.

Still nothing I would worry about at this point. If you notice any changes like redness in the fins, clamping fins or more spots then you have a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Agree with bettasngoldfish. It doesn't look like anything to worry about right now. It may be a sign you need to do more water changes. I have many indoor goldfish and you can go crazy if you look for spots. They seem to all have things pop up like this from time to time. Usually they go away as quickly as they appear. if you know your fish, you will know when it's sick. Clamping fins, bottom sitting, not eating; these are usually signs of a sick fish. I don't worry too much about the random white spot as long as everything else seems ok. Clean water fixes many things, so water changes are your best friend with goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Agree with bettasngoldfish. It doesn't look like anything to worry about right now. It may be a sign you need to do more water changes. I have many indoor goldfish and you can go crazy if you look for spots. They seem to all have things pop up like this from time to time. Usually they go away as quickly as they appear. if you know your fish, you will know when it's sick. Clamping fins, bottom sitting, not eating; these are usually signs of a sick fish. I don't worry too much about the random white spot as long as everything else seems ok. Clean water fixes many things, so water changes are your best friend with goldfish.

I actually do 40% 3 times a week. It's only a 70 litre tank. It was only meant for my fry but ended up with a few fancy goldfish, couldn't resist :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I added a tiny bit of Tetra Medifin and 2 spoons of salt. The lump has completely gone after 36 hours. No signs of flashing or discomfort. However there was a tiny pin hole in this fin just 0.2cm below.

Ask a Question