ID Turtle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found this turtle in the over grown section of my yard. Would be very cool if digging nest and laying eggs. 1 block from small lake Southern NY. I left he/she alone came back 4 hours later turtle was gone. Can anyone ID if eggs where laid how long before hatching ?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can’t really Id from eggs. No pic of turtle? Was it digging in the ground?

Eggs for most turtles take roughly 60 days or so to hatch.

If it dug out a nest you could tell by the disturbed area. Gently poking your finger into the ground around the area. If there is a spot that is softer than the surrounding area that is where it laid the eggs. Usually about 4” or so underground.

If it did lay eggs may want to place some kind of wire dome of some sort to keep raccoons out. They are very adept at finding turtle nests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you have photo but for some reason it willn't post. I did not want to bother area but looks like dirt was disturbed. Area is filled with raccoons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-30_10-59-2.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had a very late spring here, if eggs take 60 days babies will hatch end of summer. Will they have enough time to get ready for winter?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We had a very late spring here, if eggs take 60 days babies will hatch end of summer. Will they have enough time to get ready for winter?
Yes. This is normal. If they can avoid predators, their instincts will tell them what to do. Agree with what @Jhn said about covering the nest with some kind of wire “cage.” There are no absolutes, but this can give the eggs a better chance of survival. Also, monitor the area and if you have a severe dry spell, maybe water it down a little.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is a snapping turtle, good thing you left alone. They can be ill tempered when harassed while out of the water. I come across them quite often at work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Snapping turtle thank you. I become ill tempered when harassed also. Have a old wire dog crate I can put over nest to raccoon proof.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a snapping turtle, good thing you left alone. They can be ill tempered when harassed while out of the water. I come across them quite often at work.
Well, I started to say that....but the ones we have around here have a very pronounced pointy beak and spiky armored shells. So, obviously what I’m used to seeing here in Louisiana is the ALLIGATOR SNAPPING TURTLE and what you have there is a COMMON SNAPPING TURTLE.

Here’s an interesting video in case anyone is curious.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Mmathis Haha those alligator snappers get crazy big. They don’t come as far north as Maryland where I am located, not really disappointed about that either. It is bad enough being in the water and seeing one of the common snapping turtles heads poking out next to you. They can get large in the rivers around here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis Haha those alligator snappers get crazy big. They don’t come as far north as Maryland where I am located, not really disappointed about that either. It is bad enough being in the water and seeing one of the common snapping turtles heads poking out next to you. They can get large in the rivers around here.
Actually, the largest alligator snapper I’ve ever seen (in the wild) was a little smaller than what the guys in the video were holding. Do you have.....alligators up there? Now, that’s a scary sight!

Ask a Question