Ideas for a floating island

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I want a floating island but everything I am finding is just not pleasing me. It is either a purchased item that is way too much money and too big or a single floating pot that is too small and ugly or a DIY wetlands raft that is very unattractive. What I am looking for is...

~ 2-3 sq ft
~As natural looking as possible. Yes it is floating and obviously not natural but I do not want to look at foam or PVC 11.5 months out of the year when the plants are not at their peak. I'm thinking even some burlap might appear like dirt or dry grass, something!

That's about it really! I want to set it up because with the flow in my pond the lilies only do well in a couple spots leaving 60% of the pond uncovered still by the end of the year. Also for some more frog habitat.

So I am just looking for any ideas others might have come up with or found as to materials, assemble...anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@pecan made a nice looking floating island. Maybe you can look for it or will chime in and give you advise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks! I checked out everything I could find by Pecan pertaining to the island and that is exactly what I want to do (bare root plants, no media). Everything else just shows brand new pictures so it is great to see that bright pink age SO well! Very comforting!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used the green foam insulation board from lowes, bare root plants in holes, covered a bit of it with burlap. It looked great, but then our heron buddy started using it for a landing deck to fish, so island yanked and gone.
The heron would land on the net, it would sink down to the island and mr heron would fish away.

No more islands

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi, has anyone used a trampoline as a diy floating island for a big pond?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well I did some research on how to clean pond water naturally. And I came across BioHaven technology. I have a pond that's about 10 meters by 15 meters. There's a ton of leaves in there, like a foot deep. And the pond is covered with algae. So, I wondered if anyone had the same idea to build a DIY floating island with aquatic plants using an old trampoline.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would you put the whole frame in the pond and plant the cover?, hard to image. If so I would think you would not want a permanent structure like that in a pond and the metal of the stand. A piece of Styrofoam insulation, would be easier to manage over time.

Get a pool net and start netting the leaves off the bottom, that will help a lot.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Farm ponds here use paddle boats and go out and net the pond by hand .Trampoline would rust and material would rot .I big piece of hose for like water lines and netting attached to it would work .I know here at plumbing supply stores sell commercial sized hoses .3 and 4 inch sizes and did see bigger out in the supply yard .It is flexable because it is rolled up .

Ask a Question