ideas for fish for my new pond??

Reaction score
Just building a new pond its 7ft/3ft and 9 bricks high just need to know what pump. Filter and fish would u guys start off with. Thanks in advance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a pondmaster 24 submersible pump going strong for 12yrs now in my abt 2400 gal pond. A more power efficient pump would be a Laguna Max Flo and I'm leaning towards one of those in the future. They have different sizes for your size of pond. You need to figure out how many gallons your pond is and do you have a waterfall? You use metric so I can't help you there but here is how I figure mine out:

How can I determine the amount of water in my pond?

To determine the gallons of water in a square or rectangular pond:

Multiply average length x average width x average depth x 7.5 = gallons of water.

To determine the gallons of water in a circular pond:

Multiply (half the diameter) x (half the diameter) x 3.14 x depth x 7.5 = gallons

Reaction score
I have a pondmaster 24 submersible pump going strong for 12yrs now in my abt 2400 gal pond. A more power efficient pump would be a Laguna Max Flo and I'm leaning towards one of those in the future. They have different sizes for your size of pond. You need to figure out how many gallons your pond is and do you have a waterfall? You use metric so I can't help you there but here is how I figure mine out:

Multiply average length x average width x average depth x 7.5 = gallons of water.

Multiply (half the diameter) x (half the diameter) x 3.14 x depth x 7.5 = gallons

ber: 2221"]I have a pondmaster 24 submersible pump going strong for 12yrs now in my abt 2400 gal pond. A more power efficient pump would be a Laguna Max Flo and I'm leaning towards one of those in the future. They have different sizes for your size of pond. You need to figure out how many gallons your pond is and do you have a waterfall? You use metric so I can't help you there but here is how I figure mine out:

Im just starting to build it so im getting a bit fussy cant wait to get it finished. Thanks
Multiply (half the diameter) x (half the diameter) x 3.14 x depth x 7.5 = gallons[/quote]
Thanks for that. Im just start

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For fish, I'd recommend getting Shubunkins. In my opinion they're the coolest looking pond fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Regarding fish, I learned that you can see orange better in the pond. :)

I have beautiful black and calico fish, but they're hard to see.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Brightly colored fish are easier to see, for sure! We also learned that what we can see, predators can more easily see, too! We had what we believe was a skunk get two of our big fish last year, both of them bright and shiny. Our "pond mutts" which are still darkly colored (and may remain that way, we'll see what spring brings!) were untouched. I was hoping the more colorful ones would have bigger brains and know they needed to hide because they stick out like a sore thumb... apparently not! No evolution of the species going on there!

So koi. shubunkins, goldfish, golden orfe... there are many options. My best advice is to choose the type of fish you enjoy, but start small. Smaller fish are less expensive and they do grow so fast - you will be amazed! Start small in numbers, too. It's so exciting when you start adding fish to the pond that many (myself included!) go overboard on the numbers. The best way to create problems for yourself and your pond is to overstock. So get a few fish and make sure you are off to a good start - it's sad to lose a fish to inexperience, but it would be way worse to lose a whole pond full. Good luck! Nothing like a new pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And watch out for those Heron birds that come to have a sushi lunch at the side of your pond. I had to finally break down and put a net over my pond. Tried everything else and nothing works like this net. My fish are free to do what they want any old time now.............they can sunbathe naked in all their glowing colors right on top of the water now if they like

IMG_5317.JPG

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Come on, j.w...... SUNBATHE? REALLY? In YOUR soggy neck of the woods? They're more likely to get a RAIN TAN! :ROFLMAO:
John

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
With all the flooding in the UK, you'd think they'd give up on ponds

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A short film about Annacotty Weir outside Limerick city,Ireland. The Salmon try to get past the weir to go and spawn where they hatched. Whist attempting to jump the weir they also are being hunted by a very successful angler. The Heron !
If they can catch them there Lou then they can catch them anywhere else.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Very good film. Heron's and Egret's are everywhere back in SW Louisiana. The rice fields/commerical crawfish farms provide a never closing buffet. Flooded rice fields are filled with all sorts of little edible delights.

Amazing sight to see flocks of those birds gathered in the flooded fields. Ironic that such beautiful creatures are such a bane to innocent garden ponds.

Ask a Question