Ideas for spring projects!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I watch a King of DIY YouTube video, where he makes a 3 part filter inside his tank. And I got to thinking that might work in the pond, just scale it up. So, I need input. As many of you know, my “pond” is an above ground pool, my dogs ate the cord to the pump I did have, and I recently got a little pump in trade. So I need to come up with a way to maximize that pump, with out killing my budget. I’m trying for a job that will pay better, but till then, I’m just making bills.
So, I need to diy this pump into a filter as well, using mostly stuff I already have. I’m thinking if I do this right, it’ll do mechanical and biological filtration, with just one little pump. The pump does have a lovely attachment thing so I can split the flow, so I can divert part of it for my aquaponics. That’ll help filter the water, reduce the flow to what I need, and filter the pond as well. I need input on if you think this will work, how big a container I’ll need, what percentage I need to devote to mechanical and biological, and some good biological filter media that won’t weigh a ton, and I can get cheap, or free. This would also be a good thread to share project ideas! I’ll follow up with a link if his video, so it’s explained better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 157

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Filtration, mechanical or bio, regardless of size and configuration, requires a certain level of water flow to operate efficiently. You have to get the water to the filter(s).

In a typical garden pond the most efficient flow rate is between 1.5 and 2.0 times the capacity of the pond, i.e. a 500 gallon pond requires a pump with a flow rate of 750 - 1000 gph. Anything less than this will result in less than ideal water quality and potential health problems for any fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can't you just salvage a cord and fix the one your kids chewed? And you can do something like I outlined with the bucket and bioballs/lava rock. Or the sock filter (though that would have an initial cost). If you can get a used 55 gallon drum cheap, you can do the bucket idea too, though I'd still figure a way to use the sock filter idea. All the pvc can be replaced by regular hose if you need to but inlet and outlet parts would still be necessary. You can scavenge any manner of broken/small pcs of plastic to use as your bio surface. Furnace filters can be used for mech filtering, though they'll clog quickly. Quilt batting can also be used. The material I used for my sock filter wasn't expensive and lasted all season (I think it was $12 for a 60"x36" pc).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
can't you just salvage a cord and fix the one your kids chewed? And you can do something like I outlined with the bucket and bioballs/lava rock. Or the sock filter (though that would have an initial cost). If you can get a used 55 gallon drum cheap, you can do the bucket idea too, though I'd still figure a way to use the sock filter idea. All the pvc can be replaced by regular hose if you need to but inlet and outlet parts would still be necessary. You can scavenge any manner of broken/small pcs of plastic to use as your bio surface. Furnace filters can be used for mech filtering, though they'll clog quickly. Quilt batting can also be used. The material I used for my sock filter wasn't expensive and lasted all season (I think it was $12 for a 60"x36" pc).
They chewed it right where it goes in, so no space to splice a new cord. Otherwise I would. Not to mention they chewed the outlet where water comes out, mangled that bad so I can’t fit a hose on. Brat dogs pulled it out of the box I had it in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I guess the only difference between what I see most people having, and what I want, is location. I’d like to put mine in the pond, using something like the 50 gal plastic trash bin, divided into three sections. I figure a trash can that size will allow me to pull water from low in the pond, filter it, and return it near the top for gas exchange. I can rig it to hang or be tied to the side of the pool. Lord knows, my pool has enough space, and I could even have plants in it to protect them from voracious fish! I’m thinking the largest space would need to be for the biological filtration, but how much? 50%?75% ? For the pump, I’ll give just enough space for the pump and my hands to reach in. So maybe 20/70/10ish? I don’t know that a trash can tied to the side would be sturdy enough to hold lava rock, so I’ll try to find more light weight media. Or if I can find some cheap, I’ll do about a foot or two, topped with lighter weight material.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Short of dropping the level, I’ve got over 5000 gallons. If I recall correctly, it a 22’ diameter pool, but when I looked on the website, they only offer 18’ now. So on the off chance I’m wrong, ( and it’s just too cold for me to go out and measure it right now) if I calculate 18’ x 3’ deep, that’s almost 6000 gallons. Recommend to double that per hour, that’s 12000 gph. Sigh, what brands work well, and are fairly affordable. Most I see are several hundred bucks a pop, and don’t go up that high on gph. Which means multiple pumps, which I don’t have outlets for.

Ask a Question