Ideas for weir for my bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone
I'm getting ready to set up a 165 gallon preformed pond and I have this heavy duty Rubbermaid tub that is roughly 68 gallons that I want to use for my bog
I will most likely lay some flat pavers under the bog and raise it up maybe a foot
it has a 1 1/4 threaded plug that I'll have on the backside and the pump from the pond will enter there
what I haven't figured out yet is how to make it dump back into the pond

I don't have the pond yet
it gets delivered the 14th so I'm not sure if I'll have the bog empty from the long side or short side yet

Attachments

• PXL_20220329_211120566.jpg
    PXL_20220329_211120566.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can have the bog sit partially over the pond and cut a slot at the top of the tank for the return water to spill out.

Or drill a hole in the tank and use a threaded bulkhead fitting for a perfect seal. Then thread a pipe into the bulkhead fitting. Make sure you get the threaded type of bulkhead fitting. You can disguise the pipe by covering it with rocks, painting it or heating it and flattening it out. Just make sure your pipe is much larger than your input pipe/hose. You don't want the bog to overflow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can have the bog sit partially over the pond and cut a slot at the top of the tank for the return water to spill out.

Or drill a hole in the tank and use a threaded bulkhead fitting for a perfect seal. Then thread a pipe into the bulkhead fitting. Make sure you get the threaded type of bulkhead fitting. You can disguise the pipe by covering it with rocks, painting it or heating it and flattening it out. Just make sure your pipe is much larger than your input pipe/hose. You don't want the bog to overflow.
hey I thought about getting a spillway and sitting inside the tub for the bog and cutting out most of the back of the spillway so plenty of water can enter it and it would be filled with the pea gravel too
I know they are about 25 bux but may make a nicer looking flow back into the pond
I'll measure but I think the spillway lip will just go over the edge of the bog tub but if it doesn't I can elevate it a few inches so it does

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
hey I thought about getting a spillway and sitting inside the tub for the bog and cutting out most of the back of the spillway so plenty of water can enter it and it would be filled with the pea gravel too
I know they are about 25 bux but may make a nicer looking flow back into the pond
I'll measure but I think the spillway lip will just go over the edge of the bog tub but if it doesn't I can elevate it a few inches so it does
That is what I was going to suggest, just make sure you have a way to attach the spillway that is structurally sound enough and watertight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The spill way is the hardest part of the using preformed . cutting them seriously compromises there strength. as the top rolled edge does a lot. but once cut and removed is another story . the kitty litter box was clever . i myself would do as @poconojoe said and go with drilled holes usually need three times the size of the pumped hose over a gravity drain. To me then id install a weire for the water and place a bib liner under the bog with the liner dumping into the pond.

--

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Nope. They hold water already and are very tough. I assume you will put a bulkhead in for the outflow back to the pond?
This 300gallon tank has a 2'' drain plug. Can I plumb the pump output into the drain plug, or better use flex pvc that goes from the top to bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes that's my plan. Would the bulkhead like below work?
View attachment 158568
This 300gallon tank has a 2'' drain plug. Can I plumb the pump output into the drain plug, or better use flex pvc that goes from the top to bottom?
Yes, that bulkhead should work.

I went over the top on mine but I'm not sure I have a good reason. I guess I wanted to be able to drain it from the bottom drain, but you could put a T with a valve to be able to drain water whenever required.

Can you connect plumbing parts to the inside of that drain? I assume you are using a manifold arrangement, so you'll need to be able to connect piping there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Using a bulked or two or even three is bound to fail at some point. Plants in a bog grow very very fast and can clog a 2bor 3 inch hole very fast
Example I have monkey fist in my bog . Grows very fast it can grow to over three feet tall but here's the problem it's Weak very weak. A good rain can flatten it right out now you have to make sure it's over three feet away from from all the bulked.

Or in the fall that no leaves plug the pipes. Just my opinion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Yes, that bulkhead should work.

I went over the top on mine but I'm not sure I have a good reason. I guess I wanted to be able to drain it from the bottom drain, but you could put a T with a valve to be able to drain water whenever required.

Can you connect plumbing parts to the inside of that drain? I assume you are using a manifold arrangement, so you'll need to be able to connect piping there.

I saw people in other forums did that (plumb through the drain plug). So I assume it could be done, but not sure if it's better the old way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Using a bulked or two or even three is bound to fail at some point. Plants in a bog grow very very fast and can clog a 2bor 3 inch hole very fast
Example I have monkey fist in my bog . Grows very fast it can grow to over three feet tall but here's the problem it's Weak very weak. A good rain can flatten it right out now you have to make sure it's over three feet away from from all the bulked.

Or in the fall that no leaves plug the pipes. Just my opinion
Make sense. I'll use flex pipe coming in from the top then.

Ask a Question