Ideas for winter and spring

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good place for post #2600.;)

As winter is approaching and a lot of pond activity is slowing down, now is the time to start planning for the winter and springtime.

Think about what you have learned here and what your pond needs.

1. That Bio filter you need to make or improve.
2. De-Icers and mechanical means to keep a hole open when it freezes over.
3. Green house over your pond or just to keep your water plants in.
4. Netting to protect from predators.
5. Making spawning ropes.
6. Stocking up on basic meds.
7. Bookmarking sites that have critical information you need if you have an emergency with your Koi.
8. Getting that Hospital tank going or 2nd pond.
9. Don't forget to remove the muck in the bottom before the cold sets in.

What are your thoughts?:biggrin:

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
how do you make the spawning ropes ?? as i had quite a few injuries last spring with fish trying to get onto planting pots ...im going to move mine out next year when i see them getting ready to spawn ...that might be something for others to think about doing

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You get a nylon rope that is stranded and cut off some pieces about a foot long. Then you unravel the smaller pieces until they are hundreds of individual strands.

Next you open up the length every few inches and insert the foot long pieces perpendicular to the long part.

I use a torch to sear the end that was cut on the long rope to keep it from un-raveling on the end. You can use tie wraps to help keep the foot long pieces in place.

Make sure it is the right length for your pond and you have some anchor points to go to.

If I can find a photo I will post one.

Ask a Question