Ideas needed!

Reaction score
I just wanted to post some pictures of a pond my twin brother and I have built. It has been a tough job but we are coming close to the final stages. I thought it would be smart to ask some experts on what I can do to improve it and build a complete ecosystem as well.

need ideas on plants in and around the pond as well.

I live in GA and I have already introduced Koi into the pond.
6 hours of direct sunlight.
Pressurized UV filter system

If anyone would like a more detailed description or specific measurements just ask.

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

Reaction score
Looks real nice as is. Nice job on the waterfall. Lillies and some floaters for the pond will brighten it up. Around the outside it depends on your taste. You can google japanese water gardens for ideas or use local plants that don't have invasive roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ponder, Welcome to the forum. Really nice job on the waterfall and the pond. If you want to keep it as natural as possible you can try building a bog filter. I am sure there are several people on the forum that can make suggestions how to build it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love bog filters, will help you out if you wish! Ornamental grasses, lirope, hostas do well around ponds. Also ever green bushes for during the no plants growing times, lol

Except georgia may not be an non growing as we are during the winter.

And welcome to the forum!

Frogswelcomev.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With koi in the pond you will need to protect plants from them, they love to eat all they can put in their mouth.

plant rings for floaters, nets for lilies. Check the diy section there are instructions on how to build them.

And that is a real nice job you have done there!

How big and deep is it? Remember herons love koi!

Love the stream and waterfall with the moss.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
beautiful pond! Love the way the water comes down through the rocks. I assume you found rocks with moss on them already. We've tried and tried to get moss to take on ours, but it just won't take. Even did the ground moss in buttermilk thing.. no go. We have lots of moss around the pond, but none on the rocks.

Once you live with your pond for a summer you'll know what else to do and will be itching to get it done. My only advice is don't put too many high plants around the perimeter. We put in large plants the first year and found they grew so tall that there were parts of our pond we couldn't see!

Joanie

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put my grasses to the sides of the pond,, and on the dirt berm behind the pond. I am moving one clump of carly rose grass that is just beautiful, but it hides one of my little ponds when you are sitting on the patio.

Most things on the viewing side of the pond are low growth evergreens, junipers, short grasses, ground cover flowers.

One thing nice about plants is you can move them! easier than moving a pond lol.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
nicely done my friend!............enjoy the fruits of your labor...oh! by the way, the labor never ends. theres always one more plant, move a rock, i gotta try this out and that out...etc...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No kidding, always something to take care of and change. but it is so much fun! Keeps us in shape and nature is so calming.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love the way that waterfall is like a sneeky peek one it looks great the way it just sort of hides and then comes splashing out of the rocks like that great job and zebra grass my new favorite would be perfect over there by the waterfall next to all those mossy rocks the colors would really pop

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True addy the different textured leaves and colors of hosta would be great but not sure about 6 hours of Georgia sun as I know here brought some hosta from my NJ house and it did not do well here in VA ,I have to now keep it planted under my front porch to keep it alive . I love hostas but wish I could put them near my pond ,but liriopi the multi color one would work great low but bright .I have lambs ear by mine and artemisha as the both are silvery and the lambs ear are fuzzy soft would look great against the green and they take sun well here but not sure about Georgia .Would ask before you buy it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have hostas out in full maryland sun, they are doing great. And the lirope look good around a pond, have the solid green and variegated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are there different varieties of hosta now that can take full sun maybe I'm missing out on something .my hosta's I have are 6 years old here but had them back in Nj for ten years .Maybe they are more sun variety strong ones now .If there are I would like to have them again out where I can see them .I have the dark leaf and variegated hosta's

Reaction score
There are different varieties (and even species) of hostas and some can take full sun, but not in very warm climates. Even though hostas are supposed to grow to zone 9, they won't grow in zone 9 in FL. They only grow outdoors in NE FL which is zone 8. Some people are fanatically devoted to hostas. They move to FL and go so far as to dig their plants up in the fall and put them in the refrigerator for a month, then replant them. This gives them an artificial dormancy and allows them to survive.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze fridge for hostas now thats new .I can grow them here in VA but only under my front porch where it is cool and shaded .Tried them everywhere on property but the just withered and started to die .The weathers good here in the winter for a freeze but seems my hostas liked NJ better .Thinking it was the soil I tried compost and garden soil but nothing worked in the summer heat and sun .They were somewhat fine until July and August and drip water lines did not help at all and mulch had no effect at keeping roots cool .

Ask a Question