Ideas?? Newly dug pond has water before I'm able to add liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm just not sure how to proceed. Hubby dug my new pond about 2wk ago. It's approximately 10x15ft, and 4ft at it's deepest. The next day it rained. And rained many days after that. (I'm in Ohio) The hole is 3/4 full of muddy water that doesn't seem to be going down, despite a few nice days now.

Will it ever drain on its own?? What if it's still full of water when I'm ready to add the liner?? Anyone else ever have this happen? I'm just baffled that there's still water in there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You probably have clay, it drains very slowly. Get a sump pump, pump it out and see if it acquires more water when it is not raining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I had this happen to me, too! We ended up going to Harbor Freight and getting a really cheap submersible pump. I think it was $25. It's actually been a great thing to have. During the remaining pond build I used it two more times. Once to pump out more rain and a second time to pump out dirty water after washing down all the rocks, prior to filling the pond. If you have a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool store, they are great for getting inexpensive things like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - get yourself a portable sump pump. We've used ours numerous times since putting in the pond, so it's a good investment. And they aren't all that expensive!

Reaction score
If you are adding a EPDM liner you can put the liner over the hole floating it on top of the current water. Then add water on the liner and the weight will push water out of the hole as you fill the liner. This is tricky and adjusting liner position is very limited. And this only works if water being pushed out of the hole can flow away. Any pond where ground water can't escape when pushed out has a risk of floating so I would address that too if an issue.

The water in the hole will likely go away at some point via soaking into the ground and evaporation...unless more rain comes. However, when water soaks into the compressed dirt walls the dirt becomes soft, expands if clay, and in many cases the wall will collapse to some degree. Sometimes the walls are undercut causing problems. So your 4' deep pond becomes 3' or 2' deep. Digging out mud is even less fun than packed clay. And the result is a larger pond because the wall(s) moved out. If the liner has already been purchased it may now be too small.

Most builders pump it out as mentioned. But they do it quickly, before the clay walls are saturated too much.

An EPDM liner can be used as a tarp, because it will be sized to be much larger than the hole opening, by using some lumber to span the hole with a good slope. Has to be secured well though against wind and water can't collect in the "tarp" or it will pull the tarp into the hole. A billboard tarp can also be purchased for this for pretty cheap.

Once the water is gone the next problem will be the mud in the bottom. If you set the liner on the mud you may not be able to walk on top of the liner without sinking into the mud pushing the liner into the mud. This makes setting the liner almost impossible as it sticks to the mud. You may have to wait until about August when the mud dries enough assuming you found some way to cover the hole to keep out additional rain. Laying old carpet on the mud can be a solution even if a couple layers are needed.

This all assumes an EPDM liner. Poly liners aren't as tough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just went through the same problem this year. In my case, heavy clay held water in the hole. I pumped it out, waited for a spell of dry weather and installed the liner on dry ground. If the water keeps coming back I found two solutions in forums, etc.:

1. Build the pond above grade by a foot, so the weight of the water in the liner is greater than the pressure of the water seeping into the hole

2. Install a french drain and sump pump under the liner.

For my pond, it was -- fortunately -- just collected rain water, and once the liner went into the hole the problem cleared up.

Ask a Question