Identify Odd Fish In My Pond?

Reaction score
603307_4641138949425_1926930277_n.jpg

Amyone know what this is with the flat tail?

Reaction score
I guess it could be called a genetic deformity, but most everything about these fish could be called a genetic deformity. So maybe genetic happenstance is a better term. That trait is kept in Wakin Goldfish. Can't say I've ever seen it in a Koi.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's a goldfish, probably a cross between a fantail and a comet. If there are Wakin goldfish in the pond then it's probably a offspring of them, if not as WB posted it's s genetic hybrid baby. Could tu rn out to be a nice fish, i would keep it for sure and watch and see what it does. i am presuming you have goldfish in the pond. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Goldfish for sure. No whiskers, (at least in the pic), to classify it as a koi.

I've had similar goldfish in our pond that just appeared. They had similar triangular tail fins.

Craig

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting look. BTW, what's a Wakin goldfish?

Never mind -- I looked it up :). I have been internet "searching" for different types of goldfish recently, and all I've come across are the typical comet, Shubunkin, big-eyed, or funny-head guys, etc.. No where did the Wakin come up in my searches, so I'm excited to learn about it!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Interesting look. BTW, what's a Wakin goldfish?

Never mind -- I looked it up :). I have been internet "searching" for different types of goldfish recently, and all I've come across are the typical comet, Shubunkin, big-eyed, or funny-head guys, etc.. No where did the Wakin come up in my searches, so I'm excited to learn about it!

TM, look up Wakin and Watoni, Both are suppose to be very winter tolerant for our area or even further north. They are the two most recommended "NEW" breed fantails for the pond that were developed to be winter hardy. I recently saw a solid yellow Watoni that was a outstanding fish. Not cheap though. lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Larkin, I've been reading about them, and I like! I'll do some research, and maybe when the pond "wakes up" in spring, I can find and add a couple [of the less $$] ones to my fish-family. Yes, it actually sounds like this "type" was around in the beginning of goldfish-dom, and is very hardy.

Read that they are fairly plant-friendly [unlike koi], except that they like to nibble on water lily leaves...... Oh, well, ;)

Anyone with information regarding breeders [Wakin and/or Watoni], let me know! Would LOVE it if I could find somewhere sort of local so wouldn't have to mail-order.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Big Al's carries Wakin around here. Cheap, too! $7.99 compared to $25.00 at a garden/pond center. Same size, too!!
John

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We carry Wakin at the store I work at, down to the final pickins for this year. probably 3-4 4"+ left. Best ones have been picked over this year. He should get more in this spring. NDK has gotten some nice ones in along with some shubbies, sarrasa's, and fantails. But they have been going for way to high of prices on ebay. We sell Wakin for $15, comets 4"-6" and shubbies 4-6" for about $5.
But right now the butterfly koi are what we have the prime pickings of. We have 6"-22" NICE butterfly koi. Over 50 different Butterfly's to choose from. Some of the best selection I have seen for sale retail anywhere in a long time. Just took 25 out of QT Saturday so the ponds here are full. There is also a fellow near Baton Rouge that has some super nice Goldfish for sale. ( Ornamental Pond fish) He carries a huge assortment of pond grade koi, but most are run of the mill pond koi. But his goldfish are his best fish. He will have Watoni this spring, I bet not cheap as they will be the first year he has his own babies available for sale. Wakin I'm not sure but Our store should get some in when available. He has loads of Orandas, comets, shubbies, fantails, moors, telescopes, celestrial eye, pearl scale, and Ryukins to choose from. Might cost more for the drive down and back Versus shipping cost but there are a few places to find nice quality fish in our area. I've driven further to get good fish. LOL

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Big Al's carries Wakin around here. Cheap, too! $7.99 compared to $25.00 at a garden/pond center. Same size, too!!
John
Sorry, TM, wasn't suggesting you drive to Canada for fish. But maybe Big Al's sells them where you are as well.
John

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
John, I wonder what the shipping cost would be from Canada to the Southern US? I BET pretty costly as well. I know shipping packages that cost $10 here to anywhere in the US can cost $15-$18 to ship to Canada. Leads me to believe that those are possibly breed up there indoors somewhere.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Larkin; Our rules for shipping by Canada Post basically ban any containers with water in them as far as I have been able to determine. This means we have to ship via Purolator or some such, which can get VERY expensive! The last three fish I bought were at the end of a five-hour drive (one way), but we needed a mini-vacation anyway. What some people won't do for their hobby!!!
John

Ask a Question