identify please / dreaded mosquitoes

Reaction score
Hello all !

i got quite a lot of leaves out last night- and in doing so.. i disturbed quite a few mosquitoes. Great. i am hoping that once i get the water moving this problem will solve itself. Thoughts?

Also- I realized I have NO idea where to hook up the pump. there is something in the center of the pond that i cannot see- feels like a box...
is the white pvc pipe (upper right side) an overflow? One last question.... what exactly is the purpose of the semicircular 'wall' in front of the waterfall?

Attachments

• drain pipe.jpg
    drain pipe.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 347
Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Take a photo of the entire pond and each piece of equipment then repost.

Recommendations:
I assume you got your pond with your home. If there are no fish I recommend you drain the pond, thoroughly clean it then photograph. Make note of all equipment names, etc. Photograph each piece of equipment. Follow all piping to its device. Measure the length, width and depth. Draw an outline of the pond. Make a list and photograph each water plant. Identify the type of liner? Is the pond above ground or Is your tubing flexible or PVC? How old is the pond?

Repost for any needed help.

Reaction score
you are correct, the pond came with the house, and the previous owner is unavailable, i am flying blind here. it is above ground - no clue on the lining yet. we are renting a pump this weekend to drain the water as much as possible (we also have to drain the pool and storm shelter, so it should be a decent size pump for draining) - if for no other reason than to find all of the connections etc - and we are hooking up a circulation pump at that time. I'll let it run about a week, and see where we are before trying to add plants / fish.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
rink_a_dink said:
you are correct, the pond came with the house, and the previous owner is unavailable, i am flying blind here. it is above ground - no clue on the lining yet. we are renting a pump this weekend to drain the water as much as possible (we also have to drain the pool and storm shelter, so it should be a decent size pump for draining) - if for no other reason than to find all of the connections etc - and we are hooking up a circulation pump at that time. I'll let it run about a week, and see where we are before trying to add plants / fish.
Caution ! Before adding plants and fish I highly recommend you do as I suggested. A rented drain pump should leave only about 1/8" of water. You can remove the rest with a shop vac. Better to take your time than lose plants and fish. Lots of folks on here with higher skill levels than mine. Good luck!

Reaction score
rink_a_dink said:
Hello all !

i got quite a lot of leaves out last night- and in doing so.. i disturbed quite a few mosquitoes. Great. i am hoping that once i get the water moving this problem will solve itself. Thoughts?

Also- I realized I have NO idea where to hook up the pump. there is something in the center of the pond that i cannot see- feels like a box...
is the white pvc pipe (upper right side) an overflow? One last question.... what exactly is the purpose of the semicircular 'wall' in front of the waterfall?
As everyone has said, you have to drain the pond first, then take pictures of everything from every angle. Then we should be able to figure out what you have. I don't think the pipe is for overflow. It's rather high and people usually want overflow to come out away from buildings. Do I see an electrical outlet on the wall behind it? If so, it's probably for the pump cord.

Are you talking about the raised area around the waterfall? It's not usual. My best guess is there is something under it that they couldn't dig through.

Ask a Question