Identifying Koi types made easy(er)!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
(I was going to put this in the Koi and Fish section... but thought it might go better here. Not sure how you feel about cross-posting, so did not put it in both places. Link may be good for a sticky as I know quite a few of us newbies are asking you veterans for identification pretty frequently!)

I finally found a website I can ALMOST make some sense of. I am going to try and get out to the new house and take pics of my new charges and try and classify the little buggers. Then perhaps someone here can tell me just how horrid I am at it. LOL

I hate to admit it... a lot of them look alike to me at this stage. I CAN tell the easy related ones apart now. Like the difference between the Asagi and Shusui (it all has to do with the size of the scales... the Shusui have a sort of armor plated type look from large scales which in Koi is Doitsu. See,I CAN be taught! :claphands:).

http://www.pondkoi.com/koi_guide.htm
This table is GREAT for beginners. And the links above it have the more general catagories and the head marking names and everything!

Probably old hat to most of you... but for us newbies it is rather frustrating at times!

Ask a Question