idle pump outside over winter?

SE18

David V
Reaction score
in a few weeks I plan to shut off my pump but leave it outside under water (I normally take it inside and put it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Around here the water freezes solid.

But I think somewhere I recall in physics that that's OK since the pressure is equal all around it

take the analogy of a ship stuck in the ice in the arctic or antarctic. the ice will cause it to buckle (pressure). But if the entire ship is submerged and becomes encased in ice there will be no buckling b/c the ice is everywhere and not pushing on anything, assuming there's no trapped air

so am I missing something here or would it be OK to just leave it outside. That way I don't have to dig up the power cords

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
David, can't answer your question, but glad you posted.

POND PUMPS 101.....

I'm still [and I guess, forever will be] a newbie, so the idea of putting unused pumps in water is news to me [have seen it pop up now & then in posts]. Is this something you need to do for any pump that isn't in use? Is it a weather-specific thing, like just in cold weather? And what is the rationale? I have a couple of small ones that I tossed in a box, and last winter I pulled my "spitter" pump, but just left it out on the porch.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've always left my pump outside in the winter, however it's deep in the pond in water that doesn't freeze.
Does your entire pond freeze?

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thx; yes, sometimes my "pond" freezes solid or nearly. The pump is in the deepest portion which is about 13" so possibly the upper half might be frozen then lower half incrementally

about the 20 second mark it appears:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some pump can have the seals dry out if not in water. Found out the hard way after 4 years of starting pumps up in the spring that had been stored dry that seized after a week. Keep mine in the pond now and no problems since. Not sure if freezing solid could crack the pump casing as there is some open space inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave what do you do with your fish then if the pond freezes solid ?

rgrds

Dave

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks, I don't have fish

mmathis: instructions say to always have pump in water so seals don't dry. since I don't want to experiment I'll just put the pump in a bucket of water and bring it inside after digging out all the wiring and everything else; guess that will be an annual ritual that continues

Ask a Question