If using filtered water do you still add de-chlorinator?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
60 gal Pond: I was told by my son to add de-chlorinator even thought I use filtered water from my house. He said it coats the fish and keeps them healthy When I do a water change I put in a touch good bacteria, De-chlorinator, and bit of anti-algae eliminator. Any comments?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, since you asked... ;)

I'll start with the dechlor - does your filter take out chlorine and chloramines? It won't hurt anything to add it, but you'll kill your fish if you aren't sure.

Skip the bacteria - good, bad or indifferent. If you are only changing a small amount of water - in your case a few gallons - then your pond has plenty of good bacteria that it grew all on its own.

And that anti-algae eliminator (which sounds a bit like a double negative) is doing more harm that good. Anti-eliminate it. Do you have an algae problem? Add more plants. Keep fewer fish. Feed your fish less - or not at all. And stop the water changes. All are better at controlling algae than algaecide, which only kills the algae (and all the other good microscopic stuff in your water) and adds to the nutrient load which - you may have already guessed it - only feeds more algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you referring to a water softener system such as a Culligan? We have one that removes chlorine etc but...I still detect a very slight amount of chlorine passing through if the tap is (gushing) opened up all of the way. I agree with your son. You might add a little dechlor just to be sure during your partial water exchanges. It won't hurt; just follow the directions. Normally, I don't use bacteria unless establishing a new pond/aquarium or anti-algae but...if this is what he has used and is successful, why change it? Ponds and pond keepers get into a rhythm and if it works, keep doing it :)
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
Makes sense. My water filter takes out Chlorine but not through a softener system... But I don't know about chloramines. Don't know what that is. So I'll add it. My water is clear and don't have algae. I just thought it was for maintenance. What does keep the fish with a nice protective film?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If your filter is a reverse osmosis filter, then it will strip the water of almost everything including chlorine/chloramine.

Ask a Question