If you could start all over

Reaction score
If you could start over from the beginning knowing now what you have learned through all of your efforts, what would you do differently? If you could build whatever you wanted (realistically), what would you build? What's the ideal set up?

I am seeking to gain from your efforts as I start to design, I want to build it correctly the first time with minimal maintenance required. I most certainly do not have a limitless budget, but I don't want to save a few dollars now only to spend more fixing it later. Skimmers, bottom drains, mechanical filtration, biological filtration, bogs, UV lights, etc....

This information will help me and probably many future pond builders make and build successful ponds. Thanks in advance for all I am about to learn. All thoughts welcome.

Reaction score
A lot depends on what type of pond you want. Water garden? formal koi pond? Size?
Many on here have done just what you are saying and "start over again from the beginning", and build it just the way they wanted, and yet we all have a lot different ponds, so the choices aren't always clear.
I would recommend bottom drains for ease of maintenance, others would recommend a bog, not that you couldn't have both. I think most would recommend a skimmer.
What sort of pond are you looking for?

Reaction score
I'm going thru the process now and the the most difficult design issue I have is exactly as Mucky says...what kind of pond(s) am I going to build? I've gone round and round. That will drive the details.

But in general, if I was to have a waterfall I would always install a catch basin.
koibasin.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If I had to do it all over again, I would hire a better contractor!!!!! One that knew what he was actually doing.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I "designed" the bottom to slope, to help push the muck to one spot (ease of cleaning...). Now wish the bottom was flat, 'cause with the slope, can't get anything to sit on the bottom.

Also wish I had planned for at least a couple of plant shelves so there'd be a convenient & aesthetic place for marginal plants.

Skimmer would be really nice.

And wish I could have gone bigger, but that would require a different house & yard, sigh!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would have gone bigger and built a large bog as my filter and left more room around the sides to enter the pond easier and more plants around the outer area spaced wider apart. Also would have had a stream w/ falls. I'd still have stuck w/ just goldfish tho but more Shubunkins and longer tails.Might have chosen to build it out in the back yard instead of front.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In the process of building our second pond. I'm moving my existing filter over to the new one and it might be undersized. We'll see. But from my experience on the first pond, and having gone through a couple of filters, I would always recommend that you error on the side of having a way too big filtering system! I.e. You probably will overpopulated with fish. So spend the money on a top quality pump and build/buy your filter accordingly.

However, as already mentioned, it depends on what your goals are for the pond. Our focus is on keeping Koi in a formal pond design with some simple, low maintance plant decoration. If you want to focus on plants and natural settings, you might want more natural filtration like bog filtration.

That's what makes ponding so much fun. There is such a variety of pond types and uses that every pond is totally unique.

Craig

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, exactly the type info I am looking for. Here's what I'm thinking so:

Size will be about 14x25 (converting an old fiberglass pool) maybe 5000 gallons or so
Max depth about 4 feet at bottom drain, slightly sloped bottom
planning on bottom drain and skimmer (lots of trees)
pad and liner
bog area incorporated with pond (not sure how yet)
ledges at multiple levels for planting
waterfall of some type ( nothing too big)

Plan is to drain pool, cut a bunch of holes to ensure drainage, Fill dirt to leave about 4 1/2 feet, shape the pond inside with sand bags, building shelves as I go, install plumbing bottom drain and skimmer, add more dirt, rocks, etc and build water fall. Add pad, liner, rocks to hold it down. I am planning a mostly bare bottom for ease of maintenance. Not too worried about seeing it. I expect to be pretty heavily planted (eventually, wife's job) and just a handfull of fish. It will not be overstocked or over fed. And not to forget the stray frogs and turtles that will move in.

Tell me where my thinking is off track. I haven't decided on any particular suppliers or equipment yet so if you have some thoughts I'd like to hear them as well.

I want to get started right now, but this will be a phased process. First step us this weekend, I'm draining the pool.

Great site and info, I appreciate all the welcome's on my introduction and the feedback thus far here.

Bud

Reaction score
Waterbug,
Please tell me more about the catchbasin. Is the primary purpose to reduce the churning in the main pond? Haven't seen or heard that discussed much in my research, but it sounds like a good idea. Thanks

Bud

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Bud, how close are you to the beach? Keep in consideration any flooding, particularly storm surges. If You can raise the sides some it would probably benefit you. As for sand bags under the pond? If that's your idea I would reconsider using sand NO bags. The bags over time will rot anyway and they will make it far harder to get everything level and smooth for working with. I would HIGHLY consider Skimmer and bottom drain circuits for the filter. Bottom drains can be a little nerve testing when your building your pond. (especially installing the first time) But they do make maintaining so much easier. You only have to install them once, you maintain for years. Just food for thought. Also seriously consider and research your options on plant shelves. plant shelves make planting marginals easier, but they can also be used by predators to get in the pond for easier hunting. Being where you live, Don't think for a moment that the predators won't come. We are in predator haven area. Seagulls can be almost as bad as herons and both aren't afraid to drop in ANYWHERE for a easy meal.
Also be sure and check members signatures for links to their pond builds for more ideas. (Lot's of good ones on this site!) I have one of my ponds with bog and waterfall all in one. I have pictures of the process in my showcase so maybe you can get some ideas.

Reaction score
Bud
You might want to give this thread in another forum a read, they are doing something similar to what you are doing.
Here is the link.

You see you already got a lot of different ideas from members, and we all have various ideas of what the priorities are. Now your problem is to figure out what your priorities are for your situation.
One suggestion, when considering any specific component to your pond, try and get as many opinions from people, both pros and cons. I find it is often more useful getting negative views from people about specific things than just the positive views, that way you'll be prepared and you might be able to compensate ahead of time. Also you can ask if others have had the same problem and how they compensated.

Reaction score
Please tell me more about the catchbasin. Is the primary purpose to reduce the churning in the main pond? Haven't seen or heard that discussed much in my research, but it sounds like a good idea.
My original design had 3 goals.

1. Reduce surface ripples. I noticed that whenever I went to someone's house with a Koi pond or to buy Koi the owner would shut off the waterfall so we could see the fish better. The more still the water the better the viewing. I saw one pond with a floating rope around the falls which calmed the surface and that's where I got the basic idea.

2. I wanted to get water current to the bottom of the pond to push low O2 water to the surface. Waterfalls aren't very good at reaching the bottom (depends on flow and shape). By making a container (the basin) I could place a couple of outlet pipes right at the bottom so 100% of the water I was paying to pump did double duty.

3. I could fill the basin with fairly large rocks and get a decent, 100% maintenance free, bio filter for nothing. The incoming water had good O2 and the flow kept the rock surfaces free of muck, both of which nitrifying bacteria need. The outlets being at the bottom meant the bio filter was flushed 24/7.

After the pond was running I found I'd lucked into a couple of more bennies.

4. The outlets at the bottom swept the bottom clean for about 4' out all around the bottom of the catch basin and pushed stuff to the bottom drain. This was before TPRs were well known.

5. One morning I come out to the pond and there's a big pile of foam in the catch basin. The basin was acting as a foam fractionator and I just netted out the foam for a couple of days and no more foam. So it helped reduce DOC levels. Without the catch basin I would have had foam floating all over the pond surface and the foam (which contains dirt) would have stayed in the pond. It was nice to know I would never ever have any foam at all floating on the surface. Not something you think about until you have a problem. I really don't like foam, even in amounts other people find acceptable. Here's a video of a pond with a foam fractionator and to me, for my tastes, still don't like the remaining foam on the surface.

For about $20 in materials and paying once to pump water I got a waterfall, a bio filter, a foam fractionator, still surface and TPRs. Me likey.

In a future pond I'll expand the concept. I'll play around with bio media maybe creating a moving bed filter in the basin. I'll expand the TPR concept so I can increase the size of the falls by adding the water that would normally be used for just the skimmer and TPRs. So maybe 30-50% more water volume for almost free (more head).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do nothing would not have a pond i would go with a water feature if anything

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am thinking of my time and the energy i put into the pond and how it limits my time to go places .Retired so don't want to spend so much time here .Pond always limits where you can go and for how long .The dogs are easy drop them off with my son and done and can't do that with a fish pond .

Ask a Question