If you know a lot about trees or tree pruning...........

Reaction score
BigLou I have been owner/operator of a small landscape management company for 7 years. My primary functions are lawn mowing and snow plowing but I also perform landscape maintenance which includes bush and tree trimming, weed control, fertilizer, tree removal, mulch installs etc. I only do this 2 days a week and am not an expert at all. That said, I would chop those 2 branches right off!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
From the photos it appears that you removed the central leader. As this tree grows one of the remaining branches or a new side sprout will become the central leader likely giving the tree a lop-sided look. In this case, you apparently, because of disease, had no other alternative.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From the photos it appears that you removed the central leader. As this tree grows one of the remaining branches or a new side sprout will become the central leader likely giving the tree a lop-sided look. In this case, you apparently, because of disease, had no other alternative.
But you could also sort of train it [the central leader as well as some other branches] to fill in the gaps, couldn't you?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whichever branch or new growth becomes the new central leader it will grow straight up. If it is close to the existing trunk, as may happen with new growth, it may not be that noticeable. If, however, one of the existing branches becomes the central leader only the new growth on this branch can be trained, the old growth is what it is.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I saw several photos of the little gem tha had been reshaped into a tall oval shape. Not bad but defeats the purpose. Its (and moving it forward) intent was to soften the corner of the house.

Have looked at a 12' holly that is both beautiful and sorta pricey. Too many things going on right now for tha expense.

Damn't if we do. Damn't if we don't. Appreciate all the help. Keep it coming.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a Colorado Spruce that the center leader died more than once. It is still a small tree about 8ft tall. Looks like this new leader taking it's place this time might live. Hoping it will look decent eventually. Right now it looks quite odd since I cut the top off and the bottom branches off to mow under. Man those branches are prickly! The thing only cost me $2. so thought I'd take a chance. Colorado Spruce up here get a bad infestation of mites some times. It kills all the needles inside the tree and works its way out eventually. You just enjoy them while young and then rip them out when they turn yucky brown.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Funny thing. Here the native horrid useless soil is covered with a type of fir tree reaching 15' and very, very wide. Thick and green from bottom to top. In comes man, he replaces the horrid soil with rich beautiful soil. Man plants conventional fir trees and ground covers. Within months mites destroy the new firs. Disgusting.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Did not read all the post so I might be giving the same advise.

The limbs can be removed I always recommend cutting at a angle (That way water moister flows off) and use tree sealer at the cuts on Mag's as they are a soft wood rubber and are prone to frost.

?How long has this tree been in the ground if it has been lees then a year or so it should move some what easy, (I would move it before it gets to cold there or wait untill spring with no chance of real cold weather.

Trimming it
I would not hack it back second growth is always weaker and break off in winds, I would just do a little tipping and get a nice shape.
Tipping gives the branches some time to strengthen and the tree to recover from a disease and such what will also help is remove a few limbs at the bottom
that will send more energy to the top.

From the pics the tree looks healthy
leaves are nice and green and shining.

Good luck
Ruben

Ask a Question