Illegal Water Plants?

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Went to a local pet shop recently, and was asking about water/pond plants, and find out why i can't find them. Supposedly they are illegal in alabama, all water lilies, hyacinths, some others, the good ones, lol. Supposedly, they are worried of people dumping them into a local stream or river, and due to the quick growing and multiplying, they would take over the stream/river.

My cousin works at a local lowe's, and they havent gotten any in, and he asked, and they're not even planning on ordering them due to the legal issues, so =\

He also told me alot of vines are good for ponds, or easy to grow.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Remember the Gov always knows whats best for us...lol

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
So far here in Washington State there aren't any limites on Aquatic plants or criters that I'm aware of. For sure, a feww years back, (ten to fifteen) someone dumped a few Japanese live bearing snails in a few lakes around here. These snails have been an asset keeping the algee down and food source for the local ducks when the ducks can get to them in the shallows. That's how I originally found them years ago for my indoor aquariums, and now, pond.

Ask a Question