I'm a new koi pond owner and have tons of questions!!!!!

Reaction score
We purchased a home that had been left for over a year. The gardens were really overgrown and once we started cleaning discovered a koi pond that of course was horrible. The waterfall, skimmer, etc all worked so started just trying to clean, basically as one who was used to taking care of swimming pools for years. The water was clear but tea colored so just added a couple of small koi. One has lived and he is over 12 inches now after a year. Added 2 more small koi a couple of months ago. Tthe one who was the most active and wanted to swim with the big guy was found floating on the water one morning. The one that was very calm was still ok so added another. Both of these went missing and saw a huge bullfrog under the water where I always feed them. We decided to empty the pond and find out exactly what was down there, how many gallons of water there were and where the new koi were hiding. All went well - the big guy is doing fine in his new clean pond but the little ones were gone. I think the bullfrog got them.

I have read and read and talked to different people and I'm getting different answers to the same questions. Would you guys who seem so knowledgeable help me out with your facts.

1. Is it possible the big guy killed the little one? Some say koi are territorial and others say no - koi are very gentle.
2. I know that bullfrogs will eat anything they can get in their mouths so how big do the new koi need to be?
3. I want to add 2 more for a total of three so do I need to add the two new ones at the same time?. The pond is 1,650 gallons.
4. We have well water that is softened, and we add water daily due to the waterfall, the air stones and my dog drinking. What is the best thing to do about the tinted water. I put the pond water in a white cup and it is tinted a pale yellow.

Thanks for all your help - I'm sure I will have a many, many more.

Reaction score
Welcome Peggy, You will certainly find you answers here, but not from me, I'm new. I'd prolly relocate the big frogs if possible!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
bullfrogs will also hug a fish to death Activated charcoal works great on tinted water .How big and how deep is the pond

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have tried to keep koi several times in the past. Every time they disappeared without a trace. Went with cheap goldfish sold as feeder fish and have had no trouble with them. Now they are about 8" long and I think I may have spent a total of eighty cents total on all of my fish.

Reaction score
bullfrogs will also hug a fish to death Activated charcoal works great on tinted water .How big and how deep is the pond

5' x 11' x 4' to 5' deep. Thanks for the info in regard to the bullfrog - I will relocate him to the lake if I see him again. I'm hoping he has gone since his treats are no long available.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have taken lots of them to new homes I do not trust them and owls can get fish also .If you have cats around they may think it is a great fresh snack .They have been catching the wild cats around here .I even had a beagle trying to get my fish and I caught him in the act

Reaction score
I relocate every frog or toad I see. If it's a small tree frog I don't mind letting him stay for however long he wants. But get a netting cover like I do. I lost a couple fish at night for leaving it open ( when I first started ) now I have a cover for my fish and they are safe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We purchased a home that had been left for over a year. The gardens were really overgrown and once we started cleaning discovered a koi pond that of course was horrible. The waterfall, skimmer, etc all worked so started just trying to clean, basically as one who was used to taking care of swimming pools for years. The water was clear but tea colored so just added a couple of small koi. One has lived and he is over 12 inches now after a year. Added 2 more small koi a couple of months ago. Tthe one who was the most active and wanted to swim with the big guy was found floating on the water one morning. The one that was very calm was still ok so added another. Both of these went missing and saw a huge bullfrog under the water where I always feed them. We decided to empty the pond and find out exactly what was down there, how many gallons of water there were and where the new koi were hiding. All went well - the big guy is doing fine in his new clean pond but the little ones were gone. I think the bullfrog got them.

I have read and read and talked to different people and I'm getting different answers to the same questions. Would you guys who seem so knowledgeable help me out with your facts.

1. Is it possible the big guy killed the little one? Some say koi are territorial and others say no - koi are very gentle.
2. I know that bullfrogs will eat anything they can get in their mouths so how big do the new koi need to be?
3. I want to add 2 more for a total of three so do I need to add the two new ones at the same time?. The pond is 1,650 gallons.
4. We have well water that is softened, and we add water daily due to the waterfall, the air stones and my dog drinking. What is the best thing to do about the tinted water. I put the pond water in a white cup and it is tinted a pale yellow.

Thanks for all your help - I'm sure I will have a many, many more.

1) In answer to your questions koi arent in anyway territorial and the more you have in the pond the greater the appreciation of them :happy:
2) We dont have bullfrogs in the UK but I hear they eat birds as well , perhaps it may be a idea to remove the bullfrog to a wild pond elsware
3) Yes you can add two at the same time but "WARNING" Do not put the two new koi in with the surviving koi until you have Quarentined them in a seperate fasility for a 2 month period so that any parasitical infections they have can be treated if you dont do this and one or both of those new koi go in infected it could cost you your surviving koi 1,650 US or UK imperial is a good size pond and you could add even more koi if you wish :happy:.
4Q) Does your pond have leaves rotting at the bottom of the pond ?
4A) if your pond is tinted yellow and you have dead leaves on the bottom of your pond you need to clean them out this should cure it , however if its still that colour and there are no leaves then try an algae remover
Also whay state are your filters in ?
We hope this helps you ?

Dave

Reaction score
I relocate every frog or toad I see. If it's a small tree frog I don't mind letting him stay for however long he wants. But get a netting cover like I do. I lost a couple fish at night for leaving it open ( when I first started ) now I have a cover for my fish and they are safe!
Thanks, the net will be next before adding anymore koi.

Reaction score
1) In answer to your questions koi arent in anyway territorial and the more you have in the pond the greater the appreciation of them :happy:
2) We dont have bullfrogs in the UK but I hear they eat birds as well , perhaps it may be a idea to remove the bullfrog to a wild pond elsware
3) Yes you can add two at the same time but "WARNING" Do not put the two new koi in with the surviving koi until you have Quarentined them in a seperate fasility for a 2 month period so that any parasitical infections they have can be treated if you dont do this and one or both of those new koi go in infected it could cost you your surviving koi 1,650 US or UK imperial is a good size pond and you could add even more koi if you wish :happy:.
4Q) Does your pond have leaves rotting at the bottom of the pond ?
4A) if your pond is tinted yellow and you have dead leaves on the bottom of your pond you need to clean them out this should cure it , however if its still that colour and there are no leaves then try an algae remover
Also whay state are your filters in ?
We hope this helps you ?

Dave
Thanks Dave, My husband is from Weston-Super-Mare and my favorite place is London. You have an absolute beautiful country.

1. So my big guy did not kill my little one that was floating? I am certainly glad to know that.

2. I am going to get a few small koi and put in the separate tank with net covering for a couple of months. Then add to the big pond. How many do you think I could have without problems?

3. The pond is totally clean, no leaves or muck.. We completely emptied, cleaned out muck, replaced filters with matala filter media. I will add microbe lift as soon as it arrives from shipper.

4. We did find some carpet algae on the sides of the liner. Some people say a little is ok. What would you do? I haven't tried to get rid of this yet.

Thanks again, Peggy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Peggy Plymouth is a beautiful place, if your ever visiting the UK why not pop over and meet the members of the Plymouth and District koi Keepers Society of which Val and I are considered founding fathers to and is now 50 families strong , I used to travel with the Navy and and went to boading school in Kent prior to joining up, I was also based in Chatham kent from time to time so London was like a second city to me for many years.
I take it your from the US which is a country I've been to many times but not in the last 20 or so years sadly :( .
Glad to be of help to you please if you need anymore help just ask (y)

Reaction score
Hi Peggy Plymouth is a beautiful place, if your ever visiting the UK why not pop over and meet the members of the Plymouth and District koi Keepers Society of which Val and I are considered founding fathers to and is now 50 families strong , I used to travel with the Navy and and went to boading school in Kent prior to joining up, I was also based in Chatham kent from time to time so London was like a second city to me for many years.
I take it your from the US which is a country I've been to many times but not in the last 20 or so years sadly :( .
Glad to be of help to you please if you need anymore help just ask (y)

Hi Dave, I've been to Plymouth - small world. Yes, we live in USA - Georgia. I will keep reading, asking and learning. Will check out your Society if ever I find myself in Plymouth again. Take care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave, I've been to Plymouth - small world. Yes, we live in USA - Georgia. I will keep reading, asking and learning. Will check out your Society if ever I find myself in Plymouth again. Take care.
Check out our new website you'll see me in the activities section scroll down to annual shows I'n the chap with the sticks whit Polo shirt and shorts, talking to Peter the Chairman of The British Koi Keepers Society who was down for the day to give out prizes

Dave

Reaction score
How long ago did you do the cleanout. I agree with Dave that discolored water is usually a result of leaves and other debris breaking down in the pond. If that isn't the case, I wonder if you have a lot of fish poop breaking down causing the color? Have you ever checked the color of the source water? One other thing I would do is test the water for ammonia and nitrate.

Ask a Question