I'm always learning something new.

Reaction score
I'm always learning something new, for instance, koi metabolism doubles for every 10 degree increase in water temperature. I'm sure many here could have told me that.

t

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When we first started with koi, the breeder told us to increase feedings as temps came up. He recommended 5 feedings a day with temps 85+. I did that for a lot of years without problems but now it seems that may not be good. I still wonder if I am underfeeding the guys in pond 2, no plants in the water and limited algae but feeding only 1-2 times a day.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
When metabolism rises more food is required. We see this with people. Farmers used to work sun up to sun down and eat 5 meals a day to get the calories required. If the koi are more active they are going to need more food.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I feed mine only 3 or 4 times a week and 9 years ago they were a couple of inches long and now my 2 koi are over 2 feet long .So guessing it does not matter .Aggie does eat her fair share of frogs .Sucks on them and then spits out what she does not want and every morning I have to scoop out the remains .Garden where I throw them is growing great :cheerful:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
HTH said:
When metabolism rises more food is required. We see this with people. Farmers used to work sun up to sun down and eat 5 meals a day to get the calories required. If the koi are more active they are going to need more food.
I have since read that people used to sleep early, then get up in the middle of the night to socialize and visit people and then go back to sleep again, and that it was normal pre-industrialization to have a break in the sleep cycle.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
sissy said:
I feed mine only 3 or 4 times a week and 9 years ago they were a couple of inches long and now my 2 koi are over 2 feet long .So guessing it does not matter .Aggie does eat her fair share of frogs .Sucks on them and then spits out what she does not want and every morning I have to scoop out the remains .Garden where I throw them is growing great :cheerful:
As long as they get enough and not too much at once it does not matter. One has to also take into consideration the natural food in the pond and as said earlier the metabolism connection to water temperature.

Ask a Question