i'm calling it my vertical bog

Reaction score
this ended up being really long...

i've been playing with this idea off and on for at least a year, but changing my filter and especially finding a deal on some bowls helped me finish working it out. i know compared to my pond it's too small. i originally built the pond not knowing anything about bogs. but shoot, it came out nice anyway, and it ought to help a little.

this was a first try at the idea

exteriors002_zps6d34d90f.jpg

just some shelf pieces from a shower thing i welded to a pole and a piece of flat steel to mount under my little waterfall.

it didn't work at all. water just splashed from one level to the next uncontrolled so nothing could grow in it without being splashed constantly. still it let me see what needed to happen to make it work. so i kept an eye out for some large bowls (i now have a bunch of miss matched and odd bowls i need to get rid of) that were a decent size i could work with. i finally found a set of 4 stainless steel bowls for about $25 at a thrift store.

exteriors001_zpsccea38ad.jpg

i made a metal holder for them out of 1" square tubing (with oil based paint slathered on it. i know it's still real likely to rust though). a bit of luck here was that the first bowl would have been level with the deck, but as chance would have it, i made a new skippy type filter first (i was using a little waterfall type thing that sat level with the deck originally). it just happened that i needed a new filter after having my others crack over that last really harsh winter, and i found the parts to make the filter before i came across the bowls. otherwise that first drop from the filter to the top bowl might have been as bad as the shower pieces before with the splashing.

to control the water from one bowl to the next, i used some 3" plastic floor drains. $2 a piece. (the pic didn't come out too clear)

exteriors002_zps482c5780.jpg

i wanted drains big enough to keep the bowls from filling with water. i believe the frame would support it, but i didn't want it to work that way where they might overfill and splash down to the next level uncontrolled, or even into the pond without much going to the next bowl. they do pretty well at making the water drop directly into the center of the next bowl, so i can put plants around the outer edge and not have them constantly drenched. i finally got plants in all the bowls yesterday

exteriors001_zps4bf50ee8.jpg

it took a little experimenting because of the bowl overfilling i mentioned before. the first couple things i tried clogged the bowl either immediatly (some of those water bead things) or after a couple of hours (some scrubby pads that eventually softend and matted in the bottom of the bowl). i worked out two things. i went with lava rock (kinda light and and won't soften and mat on the bottom), and i found a collander/strainer that fit pretty well into each bowl (excet the bottom one. it has like a dip tray with holes drilled in it). the collander lets me pull everything out and make adjustments if things clog.

the plants are all things i read about here. i know the hosta will work 'cause i tried it last year in another spot. the annuals i just read about this year, but then read about more specific ones later, after i had gotten some. but the first bowl has been in about a week and everything seems to be thriving.

so there it is. i hope i didn't post too soon and come to find most of the plants die or my welding wasn't good enough and it falls off the deck and puts a hole in my liner or something. i also kinda wish the bowls were bigger, like if the third one down was the smallest and they got bigger from there, but who know what the bowls would have cost, and it could be for the best anyway weight-wise. so for now, i'm pretty happy with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's similar to the shower filter thing too! Great idea!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the stainless steel bowls ,plain and with plants .It sure would help aerate the water too .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very creative and different. Cant wait to see it when the plants fill out.

Reaction score
well, i was hoping to show a lush picture at the end of the season but

exteriors001_zps5dbade46.jpg

i'm not entirely disappointed though. i learned some things and will try again next year.

i now have stainless steel bowls for all the sizes, but before next year i need to make the holes bigger. i did a little but they need more opening up to make sure of the drainage.

i experiment with a few different types of media, including some of those beads that expand and soak up water, but constantly being in water makes them bloat up and finally just turn to jelly, clogging up things. i still had a few in the bowls that i didn't compleatly clean out. next year i won't fool with them at all.

i read to try perrenials, but not exaclty which ones. some just didn't work at all, others seemed to do ok. all had a harder time once the bowls stopped draining well. next year i'll know better what to select.

back to the drawing board next year, but hopefully i'll have a better end of the season result next time.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very cool idea. I love seeing objects repurposed in new and different ways. I wonder if you could cut wine bottles and turn them upside down so the larger open end catches the water from the top bowl and then funnels down the mouth of the bottle. It would eliminate the splashing and maybe allow you to have more plant growth. Of course, then there's the risk of glass but those bottles are pretty think. Just my random brain.

Reaction score
Well done, I like it! Im sure you would have better luck with a plant that is more accustomed to soaking wet soil but then again if you put in a plant that thrives too much it will surely clog the drain and overflow the bowls

Reaction score
i think the floor drains funneled it well enough. the water drops about into the middle of the bowl below it, so i could plant around the sides of the bowl. it actually did start to fill out at first. but i think the bowls clogging got the roots too waterlogged.

edit: this posted funny. it should have been after tbendl's post.

but yeah, i know a little better what plants to pick. i read an bout impatients late, but they did well. that's one of the few things left in that pic. the hosta i knew would do ok. the zinnia held on for a while and might have made it with better drainage (there's one left in the pic). i'll see next year. then panzys and begonias that were a little iffy, but again might have done better with better drainage. and marigolds that didn't seem to do well and were the first to go.

Last edited:

Ask a Question