i'm calling it my vertical bog

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Philphine, May 18, 2014.

1. Philphine

Philphine

this ended up being really long...

i've been playing with this idea off and on for at least a year, but changing my filter and especially finding a deal on some bowls helped me finish working it out. i know compared to my pond it's too small. i originally built the pond not knowing anything about bogs. but shoot, it came out nice anyway, and it ought to help a little.

this was a first try at the idea

[​IMG]

just some shelf pieces from a shower thing i welded to a pole and a piece of flat steel to mount under my little waterfall.

it didn't work at all. water just splashed from one level to the next uncontrolled so nothing could grow in it without being splashed constantly. still it let me see what needed to happen to make it work. so i kept an eye out for some large bowls (i now have a bunch of miss matched and odd bowls i need to get rid of) that were a decent size i could work with. i finally found a set of 4 stainless steel bowls for about $25 at a thrift store.

[​IMG]

i made a metal holder for them out of 1" square tubing (with oil based paint slathered on it. i know it's still real likely to rust though). a bit of luck here was that the first bowl would have been level with the deck, but as chance would have it, i made a new skippy type filter first (i was using a little waterfall type thing that sat level with the deck originally). it just happened that i needed a new filter after having my others crack over that last really harsh winter, and i found the parts to make the filter before i came across the bowls. otherwise that first drop from the filter to the top bowl might have been as bad as the shower pieces before with the splashing.

to control the water from one bowl to the next, i used some 3" plastic floor drains. $2 a piece. (the pic didn't come out too clear)

[​IMG]

i wanted drains big enough to keep the bowls from filling with water. i believe the frame would support it, but i didn't want it to work that way where they might overfill and splash down to the next level uncontrolled, or even into the pond without much going to the next bowl. they do pretty well at making the water drop directly into the center of the next bowl, so i can put plants around the outer edge and not have them constantly drenched. i finally got plants in all the bowls yesterday

[​IMG]

it took a little experimenting because of the bowl overfilling i mentioned before. the first couple things i tried clogged the bowl either immediatly (some of those water bead things) or after a couple of hours (some scrubby pads that eventually softend and matted in the bottom of the bowl). i worked out two things. i went with lava rock (kinda light and and won't soften and mat on the bottom), and i found a collander/strainer that fit pretty well into each bowl (excet the bottom one. it has like a dip tray with holes drilled in it). the collander lets me pull everything out and make adjustments if things clog.

the plants are all things i read about here. i know the hosta will work 'cause i tried it last year in another spot. the annuals i just read about this year, but then read about more specific ones later, after i had gotten some. but the first bowl has been in about a week and everything seems to be thriving.

so there it is. i hope i didn't post too soon and come to find most of the plants die or my welding wasn't good enough and it falls off the deck and puts a hole in my liner or something. i also kinda wish the bowls were bigger, like if the third one down was the smallest and they got bigger from there, but who know what the bowls would have cost, and it could be for the best anyway weight-wise. so for now, i'm pretty happy with it.

Philphine, May 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Philphine

Tula

Very unique and creative!

Tula, May 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Philphine

Nepen

That's similar to the shower filter thing too! Great idea!

Nepen, May 18, 2014
  4. Philphine

sissy sissy

I love the stainless steel bowls ,plain and with plants .It sure would help aerate the water too .

sissy, May 18, 2014
  5. Philphine

Sunshine

Oh, I love this !! Looks really nice, a filter you enjoy looking at.

Sunshine, May 18, 2014
  6. Philphine

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Pretty!

Mmathis, May 18, 2014
  7. Philphine

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

How darn neat! great job

addy1, May 19, 2014
  8. Philphine

haver79

Very creative and different. Cant wait to see it when the plants fill out.

haver79, May 19, 2014
  9. Philphine

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

It turned out so lovely, and what a good idea! You are So inventive!

callingcolleen1, May 19, 2014
  10. Philphine

michey1st

This is awesome! Love it soooooooo much!:p

michey1st, May 19, 2014
  11. Philphine

Philphine

well, i was hoping to show a lush picture at the end of the season but

[​IMG]

i'm not entirely disappointed though. i learned some things and will try again next year.

i now have stainless steel bowls for all the sizes, but before next year i need to make the holes bigger. i did a little but they need more opening up to make sure of the drainage.

i experiment with a few different types of media, including some of those beads that expand and soak up water, but constantly being in water makes them bloat up and finally just turn to jelly, clogging up things. i still had a few in the bowls that i didn't compleatly clean out. next year i won't fool with them at all.

i read to try perrenials, but not exaclty which ones. some just didn't work at all, others seemed to do ok. all had a harder time once the bowls stopped draining well. next year i'll know better what to select.

back to the drawing board next year, but hopefully i'll have a better end of the season result next time.

Philphine, Sep 26, 2014
  12. Philphine

tbendl T

Very cool idea. I love seeing objects repurposed in new and different ways. I wonder if you could cut wine bottles and turn them upside down so the larger open end catches the water from the top bowl and then funnels down the mouth of the bottle. It would eliminate the splashing and maybe allow you to have more plant growth. Of course, then there's the risk of glass but those bottles are pretty think. Just my random brain.

tbendl, Sep 26, 2014
  13. Philphine

dieselplower

Well done, I like it! Im sure you would have better luck with a plant that is more accustomed to soaking wet soil but then again if you put in a plant that thrives too much it will surely clog the drain and overflow the bowls

dieselplower, Sep 26, 2014
  14. Philphine

Philphine

i think the floor drains funneled it well enough. the water drops about into the middle of the bowl below it, so i could plant around the sides of the bowl. it actually did start to fill out at first. but i think the bowls clogging got the roots too waterlogged.

edit: this posted funny. it should have been after tbendl's post.

but yeah, i know a little better what plants to pick. i read an bout impatients late, but they did well. that's one of the few things left in that pic. the hosta i knew would do ok. the zinnia held on for a while and might have made it with better drainage (there's one left in the pic). i'll see next year. then panzys and begonias that were a little iffy, but again might have done better with better drainage. and marigolds that didn't seem to do well and were the first to go.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Philphine, Sep 26, 2014
  15. Philphine

dieselplower

Yes not all plants do well being soaked all the time. The ones that do can get so big they will clog the drain. Cool project.

dieselplower, Sep 26, 2014
  16. Philphine

Lisaebetten

It's a work of art, I love it! You could do the colorful rocks only for a nice bio-filter! Keep experimenting with the plants. I have had to do that the last 26 years in my flower gardens, some plants just don't like certain areas. They may not like all the water movement on them? Creeping Jenny might be good to plant on the out edges of the bowls to hang over to the next bowl. My CJ is in a pot outside the pond and has grown 12" down into my pond! I never water.

Lisaebetten, Sep 26, 2014
  17. Philphine

Philphine

oops. to late to edit it, but i meant to write annuals, not perennials.

Philphine, Sep 26, 2014
  18. Philphine

mrsclem mrsclem

I have window boxes with a spray bar on the sides of my pond. The drainage holes (which I enlarged) get clogged and the boxes kept overflowing so I drilled 3/4" holes near the top of the boxes so the plants don't drown. 032.JPG 027.JPG

mrsclem, Sep 27, 2014
  19. Philphine

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Great looking planters, both of you, Love the stainless bowls, such a neat idea. Try parrots feather, bet it would do fine. Water mint would too, but it spreads. Blue forgetmenot, loves being wet, blooms almost all summer.

addy1, Sep 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question