Im devastated

Reaction score
Country
United States
So for the last tree years that I have had my koi, I bring them inside for the winter. 1st year they went in my 60 gallon aquarium, last year I bought a 650 gallon pool. And this year I bought another pool ( the same one) cause I wanted to make sure there wasn’t going to be any holes in it from the storage. The largest one is about 1 1/2 ft and I have 3 koi and 1 gold. I live in buffalo New York. Our winters get cold 0-40 Some nights in the negatives. My pond is about 3 ft deep and about 1300 gallons. Next summer going to make it bigger and deeper!!! Well, I think they just moved around and or just gotten so much bigger from last year ( they still have plenty of room). That they disconnected my filtration system. Which I think was making some kind of noise under water. Which made my koi freak out. And two of them jumped out and died! I’m literally devastated. I’ve cried all day. I my friend came over and took care of it for me cause I couldn’t. I was so distraught. I called the pond guys about seeing how to put my remaining koi and goldfish back in the pond for the winter. They recommended a thermo de icer. I told them I didn’t really want that cause they’re extremely expensive to run. He said this one will only kick on when it’s under 35 degrees. I said okay, so that’s everyday. But he did say a 100watt soups work fine. And he said about a aeragation system. Please I need help. I don’t know what to do! What does everyone use outside to keep their pond from freezing? Should I re do my pond now for the winter. Idk.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am confused. Are your Koi now indoors living in a 650 gallon pool? If they are going to remain outdoors, follow the advice from your local pond professionals. Use the deicer they recommend. I would have them also test your water when they visit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes!! The water they are in is actually their pond water. I have a pump and I pump it in there. I do this every year and never have had a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Outstanding! So you are experienced and that is good. I would follow the advice of your local pond company and start thinking of spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koi will often jump when up in a new situation. Why not just cover the indoor pool with a net? It will keep the remaining fish from jumping out and it's the go-to solution for this problem.

Best of luck with your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm confused too.
Did they jump out of the pond or the indoor pool?
If it's the indoor pool, I would think it's not deep enough, the sides are too low to keep them contained.

I personally think it's too stressful on the fish to capture them and transport them to an indoor tank. Then in the Spring, do it all over again. Fish don't like being chased down and netted.

As far as keeping them outside, no fear. Very few of us bring our fish in for winter. There are a few of us, but not many. Maybe less than a handful.

The main thing is to keep a small opening in the ice for gas exchange. That's where the floating deicer comes into play. They are thermostatically controlled.

You can also use air stones suspended near the surface, but they are not as effective as a deicer for keeping a hole open. Their hole can freeze over during extended cold snaps.

A fountain can help, but that too can freeze over with an extended cold snap.

I use all three.
I have two air stones, a deicer and a submerged bucket containing a small 550 gph pump covered with lava rocks. A 1/2" pvc is screwed into the pump outlet and extends to just below the water surface.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm from MN and I think it might be colder here but my pond freezes every year and only some of my fish come in (I call them the lucky ones). I only have goldfish but some are pretty large so I bring in about 6-10 and the remaining fish stay out. I run a pump 24/7 all year so a small area stays open. Sometimes a dome of ice covers over the hole and I will melt it when the temps go up a little. My pond is around 18 by 24. Ibelieve my fish go under the cover of plants but I have been floating a couple pieces of styrofoam for the last coup of years to hopefully keep the temp warmer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They jumped out of the pool. The pool is only a couple inches more shallow than my pond. Do you think I should reset up the pond or just leave them alone?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm from MN and I think it might be colder here but my pond freezes every year and only some of my fish come in (I call them the lucky ones). I only have goldfish but some are pretty large so I bring in about 6-10 and the remaining fish stay out. I run a pump 24/7 all year so a small area stays open. Sometimes a dome of ice covers over the hole and I will melt it when the temps go up a little. My pond is around 18 by 24. Ibelieve my fish go under the cover of plants but I have been floating a couple pieces of styrofoam for the last coup of years to hopefully keep the temp warmer.
I like that idea with the styrofoam. I’ll try anything

Reaction score
Country
United States
Koi will often jump when up in a new situation. Why not just cover the indoor pool with a net? It will keep the remaining fish from jumping out and it's the go-to solution for this problem.

Best of luck with your fish.
I have a net on there now. I just never needed it before. I literally had it up for sale.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Outstanding! So you are experienced and that is good. I would follow the advice of your local pond company and start thinking of spring!
Lol yeah I’m also cheap and have very high water bills lol cause I have to pay a sewer bill too. And I didn’t want to have to mess with the temp of the water and the ph and everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like that idea with the styrofoam. I’ll try anything
don't do this as IF you do, and I imagine you'll cover the whole thing, you cut down on any light getting in which will kill off any good algae and biofilm you have on the sides and underwater surfaces. Think of erecting a winter tent ala agricultural plastic over pvc piping (google/search here) and it'll give you a lot more advantages in the winter. Took totally covering the pond with styrofoam will also inhibit oxygenation, which though not as important in the winter, still is needed as anything decaying will take up O2 in that process. Having an ice cap with a hole kept open would be much much better than styrofoam on the top. You CAN use it to box in your pond IF yours is above ground, though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They jumped out of the pool. The pool is only a couple inches more shallow than my pond. Do you think I should reset up the pond or just leave them alone?
Honestly, I am not sure if you are funning with us. Did you really move them indoors into a pool of some kind? If so, how many gallons is the pool? How many gallons is your pond? Is your pond closed (empty) for the season?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I am not sure if you are funning with us. Did you really move them indoors into a pool of some kind? If so, how many gallons is the pool? How many gallons is your pond? Is your pond closed (empty) for the season?
I do it every year!!

Ask a Question