I'm excited -- new Boy Scouting honor!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most won't understand (but a few will). Our Order Of The Arrow (OA) Lodge chose me for induction into "Vigil Honor!" Basically, it's the highest rank within OA, and you are chosen by your peers, etc. BUT, along with this honor, you are given a Native American name (and I'll have to get the real name as I don't recall....) that is specific for you -- my name translates to "Helpful Turtle"!!!! I know my son had input into the name -- I love it! Of course I did have to explain that to most of the Lodge, as they don't know about my little turtle family:)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Most won't understand (but a few will). Our Order Of The Arrow (OA) Lodge chose me for induction into "Vigil Honor!" Basically, it's the highest rank within OA, and you are chosen by your peers, etc. BUT, along with this honor, you are given a Native American name (and I'll have to get the real name as I don't recall....) that is specific for you -- my name translates to "Helpful Turtle"!!!! I know my son had input into the name -- I love it! Of course I did have to explain that to most of the Lodge, as they don't know about my little turtle family:)
That is very cool and congratulations (y) . You are right about most not knowing about Order Of The Arrow as I knew absolutely nothing about it till you told me about it a while back. By the way, are you sure your turtles did not have a hand in the naming process ? :D Sure sounds like a name that only a turtle would be so clever and pragmatic to come up with.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Congratulations! I am also a vigil member of OA so I do understand what you are talikng about. :)

I hesitated to say too much about it, but just had to share my name!!!! :censored: And BTW, in all my years of being a Scouter, I've never actually started and maintained a fire.....helped and supervised only. (y) :D

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I hesitated to say too much about it, but just had to share my name!!!! :censored: And BTW, in all my years of being a Scouter, I've never actually started and maintained a fire.....helped and supervised only. (y) :D
I wanted to join when I was a kid but we were too poor to even pay the basic costs so I took up rock climbing and the hiked the Appalachian trail when I was 11 - 14 in its entirety doing about 200 miles a year the first 3 and then the remainder of the 2,200 mile on the last year when I was 14 which caused me to have to repeat the 8th grade lol because I skipped nearly 5 months of school. I still like to climb but don't think I have the energy to tackle the trail for a second time. Ironically I had a phobia of the woods because I had gotten lost in the Pisgah mountains when I was nine and had to spend 2 nights alone till finally hiking my way out and to the Inn on top of the parkway where I was picked up by the forrest service and taken home. So to be able to do anything related to hiking and camping let alon the longest trail took some will power and courage and was one of the toughest and most rewarding things I ever did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Well, this was your opportunity to learn. I was so afraid I would fall asleep if I sat down that I stood the whole night. My name means hard worker who does good for others. Once again congratulations TM.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Add your new name to your Signature................. turtlemommy, helpful turtle!

Ask a Question