I'm finsidering

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok now don't get all crazy but.... IF I was to consider adding a single fish into my pond. Would I have to change my set up? I have a bog, that is all for filtration and a few lilies for surface cover. Can I do a single fish, like a goldfish? Do I have to feed it? Do I need to be concerned with the water temperature? And if it's a goldfish, heron?
So yeah there's like 16 questions all piled up in there but it's how I roll...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you do decide to add goldfish, I would do at least 2 or 3. They like to school and will be very skittish and unhappy by themselves. I know this because I had a fish that was in my middle pond by himself for 10 months before finally making an appearance (we thought he had been eaten). He was super timid, dashing all about and scared of his shadow once we had finally spotted him. We added 2 fish to keep him company and immediately he started schooling with them, not being spazzy, and just being calmer and acting more comfortable. Now he is out and about all the time!

I would suggest 3 feeder fish to start (but try to pick healthy-looking ones if at all possible). They are destined to be fed to snakes, so just giving them an opportunity for a better life is one way to justify it. =) No need to feed them, they forage around in the pond eating mosquitos, algae, etc. The only time water temperature plays an issue is when you first add them -- they need to acclimate to the temp and to the PH slowly. Otherwise, they will be fine. I would also suggest adding an overturned pot or two somewhere on the bottom away from the edges to give them a little hidey cave. I use a strawberry pot -- all the holes give them "fun things" to swim through.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only problem I see if you get more than one next year you may have 15 or 20 .I would get a nice fantail or 2 ,They are very slow to breed .Mine still have not produced babies and I have had them for over 9 years .I have asked the koi breeder in NC and he said that he does not like them because of that reason .He wants something that makes him money .I bought my fantails from him and that was the last batch of ones he was going to have .So if I wanted them I better buy them now .He has not had them since .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get older fish from a reliable breeder, who can assure that you have same-gender fish. But even then, that may not be 100%.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yes, they are the goldfish that they sell to folks with reptiles for their dinner. From a humanitarian aspect, "rescuing" something destined for the stomach of a snake seems like a decent thing to do. However, bare in mind that feeder fish are not necessarily going to be the healthiest specimens.

If it were me, I would probably want to spend a little money and get some shubunkin, but I know that I have herons, pretty sure I have raccoons, and have taken measures against them. I have lost a handful of fish along the way, and each one makes me sad, but living on the edge of a forest, I chalk it up to the circle of life.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I live not far from the MS Sandhill crane reserve so I definitely don't want anything large enough to catch the attention of those. And I definitely don't want to net the pond. What's the difference between a shubunkin and a fantail? I've got that I need some cover, hidey holes for sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off I love the idea that you are considering getting a fish or two or three.....:LOL:

I love the idea of saving feeder fish destined to a short crappy and often times miserable life. Just think how they would feel, it would be like wining the lotto getting to move into your pond as their new home :D

I'm not so sure you need to spend a lot of money buying fish from a breeder (especially never having kept fish before) although I do agree that way you may be able to get all the same sex fish and hopefully fish that are not ill (although that is never a guarantee)

If you don't plan to feed and you only have two or three fish you may not get over run with babies (it will take a while anyway if you are buying young fish)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A fantail is just a little fatty .one of mine and the other .They are slow and fun to watch .I call them butt wigglers

Attachments

• winter and pond fish 021.JPG
    winter and pond fish 021.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 260
  • pond 003.JPG
    pond 003.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 256

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm all about rescuing fish, I don't mind that at all, and that's actually why I'm concerned with having babies, I really don't want to have to find homes for extra fish or get into a situation where they aren't healthy. I am trying to figure out if I am ready to provide what's needed for healthy happy fish or not. Lol and thanks Maria, now that I can see the bottom, I'm considering having some swimmers. I worry about the frogs living in there though, if they will eat the feeder fish if they are too small.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your pond sounds all set for fish. I feed my fish a little each day but they also constantly eat things they find in the pond. There is always a worry of being overrun by goldfish eventually. I worry about it myself. I wish there were an easy way to find the eggs before they turned into fry.

All in all, fish make the pond more exciting and fun to watch, and I think you'll definitely enjoy it if you decide to add them!

Ask a Question