I'm gettin the itch to build again...

Reaction score
I tell you, it must be a sickness we ponders have! But yesterday, I was thinking that maybe I'd rip up a big dirt patch with flowers and shrubs at the foot of my deck and build an above ground pond. I figure I can work on it through the winter and have it ready to go when the fish are breeding in spring.

I'm just not up for digging, even though I much prefer an in-ground pond...but I figured I could dig at least 12 inches to put the first course of cinder blocks just a foot underground and then build up. Maybe a rectangle that is 18 feet long, 8 feet wide and 4 feet deep...as close to 5,000 gals as I can get. I can front it with slate tile to keep the costs down. I figure I can keep the mechanicals under my deck.

My husband is going to kill me if I even mention it, so I know I'm going to have to beg.

Would be nice to look over the railing of the deck into a pond of fishies.:banghead3:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But when you get as old as I am it's hard to get down close and feed the fish. When it's raised they come up to me.:biggrin:
koiguy1969 said:
its cheaper to dig!!

Reaction score
i agree koiguy, it is cheaper to dig. But I'm feeling exactly like DoDad...my back is just a mess. I plan on going two feet under ground and two feet above so that I can sit on the edge. How far above ground are you DoDad?

I was thinking more than 2 feet high, but most folks say that it is not comfy to sit higher than 2 feet.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well a standard seating wall is 24" or 3 corses of block. i know all about the bad back bad knees shoulder problems etc... 25+ years of carpet, vinyl, linoleum, ceramic, slate,and hardwood floor installation .. i hurt thinking about standing up!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My new pond is 3 block high above ground level and will have at leat 1" of coping on top.

Reaction score
that's what I'm thinking...24" or maybe just a few inches higher above ground. And the rest under ground. So, when are you two coming over to help me start digging? LOL! The thought of picking up a shovel is already making my back ache! LOL!

Reaction score
LOL! Unfortunately, my three boys have not yet reached digging age. That's what you get when you start having kids late in life! I shoulda started when I was 25, instead of 35!

Heck, you'd think my 7 year old is a vampire--the kid doesn't even want to go outside--unless there were Legos growing in the grass!

Ask a Question