I'm glad I found this forum

Reaction score
I've been having some serious problems with my koi pond and was searching the web for info/insights when I ran across this forum. This is exactly what I've been looking for and wish I'd found you folks last year as it would have possibly saved me from experiencing a devastating fatal experience with my koi at the end of last summer. I'll go into that in another post in the water chemistry section.

I've been pretty much a fishaholic since my early childhood days, can still remember that first teeny tiny goldfish bowl with my first 2 comets. I'd watch 'em for hours on end and never get tired of it. Since then I've constantly had countless aquariums, tropical fish, etc. etc. etc. If there's any freshwater fish out there I've probably had it at one time or another. For some reason I never did get into the salt water area. I've also been an avid fisherman my entire life, concentrating now on flyfishing and flytying.

About 10 -15 years ago for my birthday my wife bought me a small pond kit with the liner, pump, and all included. I built it in the backyard and although it was rather small, maybe 500 gal, I loved it. The next season I upgraded and built a 2nd pond about 2000 gal and got my first koi and became addicted to ponding. I was living in Calif at the time and believe it or not, I never once did any water testing whatsoever on either pond and never had problems with them. Did get green water but since our city water service was not hooked into a meter, I could change water at will and never worry about running up the bill.

Fast forward, 15 yrs later....I'm am in a different marriage in a different state, Arkansas. Funny how life changes with time. Anyways we bought this 10 acre property in the country and it had a nice 15,000 gallon swimming pool included. One of my first big projects was having a 3/4 acre fishing pond dug out in the back, which is now stocked with 'trophy' Bluegill and some very nice Bass. I spend countless hours down there with my flyrod and home-tied flies harassing those fish. Don't worry, I've never killed one yet, always catch and release. Back to the swimming pool, after the first year we decided we didn't use the pool enough to justify the maintenance cost on it. So what does a fishaholic do with 15,000 gallons of empty water??? He puts fish in it of course. After my first two trouble free ponds in my Calif backyard, I figured the pool would be the same no hassle/ no problem kind of experience.
I couldn't have been more wrong. After trials, failures, and much expense, I finally got the pond up and running very nice for 2 seasons and had about 40 koi in the 15"-20" range. Then towards the end of last summer everything crashed, my koi started dying, and I really didn't have the necessary experience and no how to deal with it. I tried a bunch of stuff, but in the end I lost all but one of my fish. I'm back this year with a new school of fish and facing the same problems but with new game plan. Hoping I can be more successful this time around.
Anyways I'm glad I found this site and I've enjoyed reading the posts so far. Looking forward to reading and writing more in the future.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, from your neighbor in Louisiana! Sorry to hear about your fish.

If you can give us as much info about your pond as possible, maybe we can help.

It's an old pool -- how is it lined? What kind of filtration do you have? What is the source for your water and do you treat for chlorine/chloramines? Do you test your water now? Do you quarantine your new fish before adding them to the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Larry, Welcome! Sorry about your fish but you definitely came to the right place to learn more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Larry from sunny Plymouth in the UK , may I suggest you cut the numbers of koi in your pond by around about a half thht way your koi have room to reach their full potential even at 2,000 gallons US you are pushing the stocking levels a tad too much my friend.
Its nice to get an old timer joining my partner Val and I have been keeping koi now for 27 years

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome_8.gif
to our group!

Reaction score
Welcome Larry from sunny Plymouth in the UK , may I suggest you cut the numbers of koi in your pond by around about a half thht way your koi have room to reach their full potential even at 2,000 gallons US you are pushing the stocking levels a tad too much my friend.
Its nice to get an old timer joining my partner Val and I have been keeping koi now for 27 years

Dave
40 koi are in a 15000 gallon swimming pool.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! So sorry about your fish. Hopefully you will get things straightened out and have a bunch of happy healthy fish :)

By the way, I always thought it would be a cool idea to convert a big inground swimming pool into a pond :cool:

Reaction score
I've been having some serious problems with my koi pond and was searching the web for info/insights when I ran across this forum. This is exactly what I've been looking for and wish I'd found you folks last year as it would have possibly saved me from experiencing a devastating fatal experience with my koi at the end of last summer. I'll go into that in another post in the water chemistry section.

I've been pretty much a fishaholic since my early childhood days, can still remember that first teeny tiny goldfish bowl with my first 2 comets. I'd watch 'em for hours on end and never get tired of it. Since then I've constantly had countless aquariums, tropical fish, etc. etc. etc. If there's any freshwater fish out there I've probably had it at one time or another. For some reason I never did get into the salt water area. I've also been an avid fisherman my entire life, concentrating now on flyfishing and flytying.

About 10 -15 years ago for my birthday my wife bought me a small pond kit with the liner, pump, and all included. I built it in the backyard and although it was rather small, maybe 500 gal, I loved it. The next season I upgraded and built a 2nd pond about 2000 gal and got my first koi and became addicted to ponding. I was living in Calif at the time and believe it or not, I never once did any water testing whatsoever on either pond and never had problems with them. Did get green water but since our city water service was not hooked into a meter, I could change water at will and never worry about running up the bill.

Fast forward, 15 yrs later....I'm am in a different marriage in a different state, Arkansas. Funny how life changes with time. Anyways we bought this 10 acre property in the country and it had a nice 15,000 gallon swimming pool included. One of my first big projects was having a 3/4 acre fishing pond dug out in the back, which is now stocked with 'trophy' Bluegill and some very nice Bass. I spend countless hours down there with my flyrod and home-tied flies harassing those fish. Don't worry, I've never killed one yet, always catch and release. Back to the swimming pool, after the first year we decided we didn't use the pool enough to justify the maintenance cost on it. So what does a fishaholic do with 15,000 gallons of empty water??? He puts fish in it of course. After my first two trouble free ponds in my Calif backyard, I figured the pool would be the same no hassle/ no problem kind of experience.
I couldn't have been more wrong. After trials, failures, and much expense, I finally got the pond up and running very nice for 2 seasons and had about 40 koi in the 15"-20" range. Then towards the end of last summer everything crashed, my koi started dying, and I really didn't have the necessary experience and no how to deal with it. I tried a bunch of stuff, but in the end I lost all but one of my fish. I'm back this year with a new school of fish and facing the same problems but with new game plan. Hoping I can be more successful this time around.
Anyways I'm glad I found this site and I've enjoyed reading the posts so far. Looking forward to reading and writing more in the future.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome....My koi seem to be doing pretty good now, thanks to the info I've found online and particularly from reading the posts here. . I'll start another post with the paqrticulars of my pond and what I've done to manage the water quality in the water quality section.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Welcome to the Forum.

Can you post some pics of your pond and your filter setup? I found this forum a few years ago, and the people here have been a great help. :)

cheers,

Andy.

Ask a Question