Im not exactly new....but im back!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was a member on here around 3-4 years ago and took a major break from ponds, koi....goldfish...etc. Well, the bug has bitten again and I can't wait to start a new pond (going for a 9X12X2 foot pond), My main interest in ponds is mainly focused around the koi and goldfish aspect as opposed to a natural fish free or water garden type pond if that makes sense. Anyways im happy to be back and looking forward to get to know all the new members and catch up with my 2 best friends on the site (looking at you J.W and Addy).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome back and guessing it just gets in your blood and you have no choice but to do it again and again

Reaction score
Haha I gotta agree with you on that! I just kept staying away but its getting to the point where I can no longer ignore the urge to build!.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My main thing was my koi and goldies and had to rebuild my pond after something chewed my liner .Plus then bought to new pumps for energy savings and then the aerator and have to say over aerating the pond has really kept the green water away .I was lucky as the aerator was on sale on ebay and got it for 126 dollars bad was now they have it 119 dollars but glad I got it when I did for the health of my fish

Attachments

• pond -rocks 2014 031.JPG
    pond -rocks 2014 031.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 234

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I was a member on here around 3-4 years ago and took a major break from ponds, koi....goldfish...etc. Well, the bug has bitten again and I can't wait to start a new pond (going for a 9X12X2 foot pond),

Welcome! I was not here back then, but have been frequently on this forum for the past year. I added a 400g pond last spring, and just took it out to work on adding a 900g pond 11x6x3.5 :)

I give you credit for remembering your password and username!

Reaction score
My main thing was my koi and goldies and had to rebuild my pond after something chewed my liner .Plus then bought to new pumps for energy savings and then the aerator and have to say over aerating the pond has really kept the green water away .I was lucky as the aerator was on sale on ebay and got it for 126 dollars bad was now they have it 119 dollars but glad I got it when I did for the health of my fish

I LOVE how red your goldfish are, sarasa comets and shubunkins are my favorite types of goldfish. Your not the member who calls their koi aunt aggie are you? I just love the look of a well done pond with bright goldfish and koi swimming around...its an awesome way to relax and unwind and gives me something to do in my spare time (im the type that it not satisfied just sitting around in my free time, I MUST do something!). I have never heard of aeration stopping green water, neat.

Welcome! I was not here back then, but have been frequently on this forum for the past year. I added a 400g pond last spring, and just took it out to work on adding a 900g pond 11x6x3.5 :)

I give you credit for remembering your password and username!

I can't accept that credit, truth be told I forgot BOTH my username and password :shy:. I had to use the "forgot my password" thing beside the login to have an email sent to me to remind me of my username and gave me a new password.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, it is really appreciated. Looking forward to being more active as the pond takes shape.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep my koi are auntie aggie and uncle bert after my favorite aunt and uncle .I gave most of my babies away to other ponders .I have been reading a lot on aeration and algae growth and figuring i will try it and see what happens as my pond is in full sun most of the time .Figured it can't hurt to see what happens with adding extra air .So far no green water since I got the aerator .I keep quilt batting in my filters also .I thought it would all turn green since it is newly rebuilt pond and with the really hot days we have had in the last 2 weeks .I will see what summer brings me .Right now I have 6 air stones

Attachments

• pond -rocks 2014 033.JPG
    pond -rocks 2014 033.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 218
  • rain storm 4-15 2014 007.JPG
    rain storm 4-15 2014 007.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 253
Reaction score
yep my koi are auntie aggie and uncle bert after my favorite aunt and uncle .I gave most of my babies away to other ponders .I have been reading a lot on aeration and algae growth and figuring i will try it and see what happens as my pond is in full sun most of the time .Figured it can't hurt to see what happens with adding extra air .So far no green water since I got the aerator .I keep quilt batting in my filters also .I thought it would all turn green since it is newly rebuilt pond and with the really hot days we have had in the last 2 weeks .I will see what summer brings me .Right now I have 6 air stones

HA so my memory did serve me correctly! I'm not sure but do you remember me from like 3-5 years ago? I remember all your stories about your dog chasing aunt aggie around the pond. I am going to be doing a UV light and a quilt batting/bio ball filter connected to a 2500 gph pump and then connected to a waterfall, that should take care of aeration....I will go from there depending on my algae levels.

I had a parathyroid problem last summer before having surgery in October and a HUGE portion of my memory is a blur....oddly enough, I can remember details before the surgery MUCH better than the details during and after the surgery....like I remember the name of your fish....but I can't remember people I knew for 15 years........lol.

BTW I cannot get over how gorgeous and red your goldies are and I love aunt aggie, your fish colors and condition is amazing, you clearly know how to care for them. I find goldfish/koi show amazing color when someone gives them the proper care. When I had mine, I would feed them 5-7 different foods and the water was always pristine....I miss having them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow says like you have been through a lot .I treat my animals like children babied and spoiled

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
talal
Glad you came back and now we get to watch you build a nice new pond. We want pix of course :)
My sister is going through the parathyroid thing right now. I hope she will get her surgery soon so she can feel better. She's had the high calcium in her blood for years but her old doc's never told her anything about why. New doc now and he diagnosed it. Her symptoms are awful :(

Reaction score
Hello and welcome back! I dont want to give you a hard time but I wonder if you have kept Koi in a 2' deep pond in Canada before? Are they able to survive those harsh Winters in such shallow water?

Ask a Question