I'm rebuilding my pond

Reaction score
What is a good pond filtering & pump system to use that is easy to maintain, if I want a waterfall or fountain? My pond is not that big, it's about 8x10 oval shaped and 30 inches deep. I've had this pond about 10 years and have been using a Beckett filter pump & filter all in one system . It's contained in black plastic container that sits on the floor of the pond and goes to the waterrfall & fountain. It's kind of a pain because everytime I need to clean the filter I have to stick my arm in the pond and fish it out. It seemed easy to maintain at first, but I'm tired of sticking my whole arm in the pond evertime I need to clean the filter. I don't have a lot of room becacuse my pond sits in a corner of my yard against the fences of my two neighbors.:regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
I have one of these guys. it takes little room easy to clean and the built in uv if needed.
get larger then needed and check ebay and amazon for much better prices.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theres a few real good DIY filter build instructions here in the DIY section. all with waste flushing....just a turn of the ball valve.takes about a minute. the 2 of mine, both 55 gal barrel and stocktank style, the DOC filter ,etc.., i'd take either of mine before a S&G FILTER anytime,.especially for easer of cleaning..and you dont need an expensive blower to clean them! altho S&Gs do a great water polishing job.. my water is gin clear all the time and parameters are ideal, every test!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Every customer that sees my design and the results, wants to build one. I think I spend as much time demonstating it as I do showing my water plants. Too bad, I don't charge for the filter advice.
I got a new customer today that lives nearby, his pond has been murkey for the 10 years since he built it. He has spent hundreds of dollars on many different filters (his wife had to tell me that) and went home a believer. He has the 55 gallon drum and he is a plumber. I'll bet he has it made in then next 24 hours.
Whether you go with a skippy (rubbermade tote) or the Doc Bio Filter 55 gallon drum, you will be very happy with the results. Mine can be made for less than $50 if you have the drum.

Ask a Question