I'm so upset! Two dead Koi! l

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by AngelaM, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngelaM

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I just let mine freeze, we are 6b so no where as cold as your 4, with the pond breather they sleep during the winter. All running water off, I love the break. My pond would be problematic to even think of covering, size shape, and multiple ponds.

I did have a few small shubunkins in one of the loop ponds, it froze and stayed frozen longer than any of the other ponds. Just spotted the fish swimming along. But it is a very low fish load. Took a ride down the garden hose to get there.

addy1, Mar 6, 2018
    AngelaM likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. AngelaM

AngelaM

I was going to over hang them a little to help hide the liner. Is that good or bad?

AngelaM, Mar 6, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. AngelaM

MitchM

That plastic is not gas permeable.
    People use solar covers to drape over a frame of some sort.
    Do not lay plastic, bubble wrap or anything else directly on the water surface.

MitchM, Mar 6, 2018
    Gemma, AngelaM and addy1 like this.
  4. AngelaM

Lisak1

Oh I think it's fine! I was just curious what your edging plans were. I alway wonder how people get those to stay put - do you have to brace them from the underside? It seems like if someone stepped on the edge it could tip the balance. But I guess if the majority of the slate is on firm ground that wouldn't happen. Never mind... I think I just explained it to myself! Haha!

Lisak1, Mar 7, 2018
    AngelaM likes this.
  5. AngelaM

AngelaM

Yes! The slate is so thick and heavy, overhanging it a few inches would be okay.

AngelaM, Mar 9, 2018
  6. AngelaM

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Pond breathers now 75 % off.... Lots of unhappy people and read lots of comments online again today about how it failed for some people. It should have a rating for cold weather so people can be more aware. I suspect the unhappy people had longer or colder weather. Should have a warning on that device about failure in extreme cold.

callingcolleen1, Mar 13, 2018
  7. AngelaM

MitchM

Where? I need a couple more.

MitchM, Mar 13, 2018
    cas likes this.
  8. AngelaM

mrsclem mrsclem

I checked too- can't find them on sale anywhere.

mrsclem, Mar 13, 2018
  9. AngelaM

Stuccu 70% off. If they work 4 you they are now cheap

callingcolleen1, Mar 13, 2018
  10. AngelaM

MitchM

They're not 70% off there and that looks like a scam website.

MitchM, Mar 13, 2018
  11. AngelaM

I love my pond breathers, we had lots of ice this year, zero dead fish.

addy1, Mar 13, 2018
    cas likes this.
  12. AngelaM

mrsclem mrsclem

We had our worst winter here, frozen , broken pvc drains. I didn't get my 1500 watt heaters in, just breathers & 100 watt heaters to protect cables for lights and cameras. All fishes alive and doing well!

mrsclem, Mar 13, 2018
    callingcolleen1 and addy1 like this.
  13. AngelaM

The ice was deep! I have not checked for broken pipes, yet. The pond(s) water is stable, so no leaks. When we get back I want to get the pump running.

addy1, Mar 13, 2018
  14. AngelaM

Some people with small fish and large pond in milder climates can get away with that breather but just remember Koi need lots of oxygen and i would never trust that device to provide enough oxygen for large fish.
    Lots and lots of very unhappy people with that pond breather on Amazon comments. Sure some people were happy and their fish were ok but what about all those people that lost all their koi using that device. You really should go read the comments and be careful who you recommend it to. .
    The air pumps/bubblier are just as bad as they freeze shut and quit working after about -20 C.
    Its cheaper and safer to recommend to people that they run a spare pump with filter as top pond experts with big companies are now recomending you leave the pumps running all winter.

callingcolleen1, Mar 14, 2018
  15. AngelaM

your fish would most likely have survived without them as well. as you never used to use them and your one top pond that froze with no circulation your fish your said were fine there too. Goldfish can do well with less oxygen and they are much smaller and move much slower compared to koi. If you have a goldfish and a koi, the same size, in your pond, like I do, you can see how the koi move twice as fast as the goldfish and they also jump twice as high.

Your weather is also not severe very often and not for very long periods of time either. I don't think that your ground freezes hard either...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  16. AngelaM

I have taken my time to find some of the very bad comments just for you guys that think it is the greatest thing. I remember well back 15 years ago people were recommending about the "then in thing" was the aerator and that failed horrible for people with severe weather as they seen to always freeze shut. I know lots of people over the years tell me "it works so great and the fish are all just fine, then a bad winter and suddenly they just died off.

Read these and just remember, nobody ever reported dead fish from a well circulating pond in the winter.....

I was expecting better aeration from this pond breather

Byeyeinzsky75on April 28, 2015
    Verified Purchase
    I used this product for my 500 gallon koi pond in RI. It was my first winter with the pond. 1 out of the three fish died. Also when the ice finally thawed, the water stinked as hell that I am surprised two survived. I was expecting better aeration from this pond breather.

Top critical review

See all 24 critical reviews

All fish dead
    ByGail Moenon March 7, 2016
    Verified Purchase
    It's just starting to thaw the ponds here in Minnesota. I have this new gadget and lots of dead fish bodies so far! I am beyond mad. IT is still working, just like it's supposed to. All my Koi appear to be lost. Who pays for this?
    3.0 out of 5 starsDoesn’t work
    ByATon February 20, 2018
    It worked ok for couple of months then one day tipped over and wasn’t aerating anymore.. this happened after a snowfall and freaked me out as there was a risk of ice build up. Fortunately the pond was large enough to not freeze over but I wouldn’t depend on it in future

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(1 star). See all 65 reviews
    1.0 out of 5 starsDid Not Work for Us
    Byejr1953on December 2, 2017
    Verified Purchase
    This unit would not stay upright in our pond and when I attempted to correct that, the top fell off into the pond.

It sounded like a great idea, but in practice was not designed with enough weight below the waterline to keep it upright.
    Comment|Was this review helpful to you?
    Yes

No
    Report abuse
    1.0 out of 5 starsNOT A GOOD PRODUCT
    ByColin Snow Minneapolison January 8, 2016
    Verified Purchase
    Bought one last year, 2014. Worked well in Minnesota for a few months and then started to trip the circuit breaker. Ran it this year for less than a month before it tripped again. Tried calling the company today Jan 8th using the numbers online 630 365 0340 & 800 627 6179 but both numbers are no longer in service. I don't believe Amazon should be marketing products that fail like this & customers are then unable to contact the manu

1.0 out of 5 starsdidn't work.
    ByIke LaRueon April 2, 2016
    Verified Purchase
    Bought these during the summer planing for the winter. Bought two in fact. Neither one worked. I read the directions, and there was no water flow to the top circulating the water.

May have to return
    ByAGuyinBendon December 20, 2017
    Verified Purchase
    So far cannot get ours to work. No bubbles. Just pumping water, not air. Defective? Maybe assembled wrong? W

1.0 out of 5 starsOne Star
    ByMaureen maxandon November 24, 2017
    Verified Purchase
    Does not really work temp only 29F and just doesn’t fill and float correctly .

1.0 out of 5 starsPond heater
    ByRobert Kolleron January 17, 2010
    Verified Purchase
    It just did not work for me. The float kept tipping over in the water and there was a hose that went to nowhere. I returned it after my son fiddled with it in our backyard for 30 minutes.
    Yes
    No
    Report abuse
    Comment

Insert product link
    Paste the product's web address below:
    Product not found. Only products offered on Amazon can be linked.

1.0 out of 5 starsthis looks like a good product
    ByAmazon Customeron January 1, 2017

Reading through the reviews, this looks like a good product. However, one design aspect of it is horrible. The pump is encased in a plastic "filter" ball, with only one small opening that allows both the wire (power) and the hose (pumped water) through. The fitting that connects the pump to the hose comes out of the pump at a 90 degree angle, and instead of installing a secondary 90 degree angle fitting, which would then place the hose parallel to the incoming wire (so that they would both fit through the hole in the filter ball without exerting undue pressure on the hose fitting), the hose is simply bent 90 degrees so that it will fit through the hole in the ball. First, this puts a kink in the hose, which severely restricts water flow. Second- and most importantly, in my case- it put so much pressure on the fitting that it became snapped off in shipping. The fitting is molded into the pump, so it cannot be replaced. The only options that I have at this point are 1) Send the whole thing back for a replacement (while I am currently watching my koi die off), or 2) Attempt to epoxy the fitting back together and see how long it lasts. With frigid weather predicted for the next week, I have no choice but to try #2 and see what happens.
    Yes
    No
    Report abuse
    Comment

Insert product link
    Paste the product's web address below:
    Product not found. Only products offered on Amazon can be linked.

1.0 out of 5 starsGreat idea that doesn't work.
    ByB. Erdmanon January 3, 2018

I have tried to use these for several years now. They all end up forming a cone of ice around the plastic tube. This winter the cone goes all the way to the top.

[​IMG]

Please don't talk about adding air or dissolved oxygen to the pond with this device....No device will add additional dissolved oxygen in a pond that is already near freezing because no pond ever, ever, ever needs dissolved oxygen in the winter. This is a scientific fact...only out-gassing is needed due to decaying organic debris and urination of the fish. Man, so many sources tell these magical stories to people on the Internet. This device is great in a high-quality filtered pond with NO Debris on the bottom or floating mid-level. It has failed numerous times with all of my customers in the Northeast.
    Yes,
    I write national magazine articles about filtration and bacterial diseases in Koi ponds and design custom systems for a living.

Mat
    Comment| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?
    Yes

No
    Report abuse
    2.0 out of 5 starsPond Breather
    Bymichael Olesenon January 9, 2014

I bought mine based on the other reviews, but I am not having good luck at all. I have a big dome of ice building up around the clear plastic tube. I have had to poor hot water to clear the ice mound. And now with MN weather I am stuck repeating the exercise of hot water baths. I am not sure why this is occurring. This should have been a slam dunk.
    Comment|Was this review helpful to you?
    Yes

No
    Report abuse
    2.0 out of 5 starsAPI 8PB Pond Breather
    Bytealeafon December 22, 2012

I bought this last winter and it seemed to work okay. This year it bubbled for a couple of days and is now not working. I do not like the idea of buying a heater each winter. I have leopard frogs that hibernate in my pond. I do not recommend this at this time and intend to contact API to see if this is usual for their heaters or just this particular one.

17. AngelaM

Other people on this forum are also quietly discussing the "pond breather failures" in their local garden centers, as I read that from a well known person on this forum.

The above reviews were just a few that I grabbed. there are more everywhere.

18. AngelaM

MitchM

I think we should all chip in and buy Colleen a pond breather for Christmas.
    :)

MitchM, Mar 14, 2018
    cas and addy1 like this.
  19. AngelaM

I always had a aerator running, or a small pump running, every winter. Never let the ponds freeze over solid. Quit using the aerator after a friend lost all their fish using one. It was a cold winter, we think too strong of a aerator running. Possible super chill. When the ice melted all they did was scoop out dead fish.

Both my ponds with fish have been kept with a hole in the ice, aerator, small pump.
    After that year, changed to the pond breather. Around 4 years ago. I don't really care about bad reviews, I will keep using them. You can always find bad reviews for anything you use.

The pond that froze this year with some fish that survived, is around 200 gallons, with two small fry in it. Volunteers, eggs went down the hose that feeds water to the pond. Two one inch fish in 200 gallons, odds are that they would be fine.

I had some fry in the same pond a few years back, they did not survive the winter. I try to catch them but you all know what it is like, darn things are fast. Lots of plants in the pond.

addy1, Mar 14, 2018
  20. AngelaM

Well if someone here is quietly discussing the failure, they are welcome to discuss it here. Not everything works for everybody. They work for me and my two ponds that have a fish load.

And power use.............don't even notice it. We use less than $50.00/ month for electricity in the winter.

addy1, Mar 14, 2018
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question