Impatiens in the waterfall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The impatiens in my waterfall were done - got a touch of frost last week - so I pulled them out today. The size of these stalks is amazing - they really like being in the water. I filled a 50 gallon yard waste bin from 5 plants.

Impatiens.JPG
Impatiens 2.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here impatiens come back every year ,They can get out of control if you let them .I guess we do not get enough snow to kill them or cold weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've grown them in my waterfall a couple of times, and their growth is astounding (just pull them from their original pot, rinse off the soil and tuck their roots up under the rocks). But my problem every time is the roots of the impatiens growing far back into the nooks and crannies of the stacked-rock waterfall (loose flagstone with a slight tilt toward the pond) and wicking water away from the pond. I've noticed once the plants really get going by mid-summer, the water level in the pond has to be raised every day. The rare plant that I wish grew a tad slower...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So guessing you could take a few indoors for the winter and stick them in some water to save till next year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've grown them in my waterfall a couple of times, and their growth is astounding (just pull them from their original pot, rinse off the soil and tuck their roots up under the rocks). But my problem every time is the roots of the impatiens growing far back into the nooks and crannies of the stacked-rock waterfall (loose flagstone with a slight tilt toward the pond) and wicking water away from the pond. I've noticed once the plants really get going by mid-summer, the water level in the pond has to be raised every day. The rare plant that I wish grew a tad slower...
I grow them bare roots as well, I'm glad I don't have your problem with losing water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow, that is some impressive stems @Lisak1 . I planted some this year in the pond, but they were a miserable lot. I can only assume that they starved. Needed more fish poo, and my fish are still little.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
These are the regular impatiens. I have planted the New Guinea as wells the SunPatiens in the waterfall - both did great.

Here they are in their full glory a few weeks ago. Gosh, my waterfall is in there, I promise! Between the impatiens and the watercress, you'd never know it! The one you see at the very top seeded itself from a few years ago - I've never had that happen before. The ones I planted were the kind that come in the very tiny packs - I like starting with the small ones because they're easier to tuck between the rocks.

Impatiens3.JPG

Ask a Question