Improving pond esthetic

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
So this pond came with our house and I don’t know much about it, but it has been taking care of itself for the past year and doing fine. We have had a red eared slider turtle that my son found after the flood for a year as well as a large gold fish and a small goldfish that have survived a couple of winters. They eat whatever is in the pond.
My question is how can I make this plastic lining look better? I don’t care for the black plastic edge sticking out. Any ideas?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it does not show much because of plants .Are you staying with this size or going bigger eventually .It is pretty .You could maybe epoxy rocks to the top or use that rock on a roll stuff .The rocks on the top will make it look like a necklace ,so not sure that would be any better

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It looks to me like the water level is several inches down and the soil level outside is also several inches down. If you can raise both of those and then use plants inside and out that spill over, you will soften the edge and "hide" where the actual boundary between land and water is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
it does not show much because of plants .Are you staying with this size or going bigger eventually .It is pretty .You could maybe epoxy rocks to the top or use that rock on a roll stuff .The rocks on the top will make it look like a necklace ,so not sure that would be any better
I am planning to keep this size. I was wondering about gluing rocks to hide it, I’ll look into the epoxy idea. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks to me like the water level is several inches down and the soil level outside is also several inches down. If you can raise both of those and then use plants inside and out that spill over, you will soften the edge and "hide" where the actual boundary between land and water is.
I think I could raise the soil level. I really don’t know enough about it to raise the water level. The level in the picture is where it naturally levels out. I might need to figure that out. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I could raise the soil level. I really don’t know enough about it to raise the water level. The level in the picture is where it naturally levels out. I might need to figure that out. Thank you!
How does water get out of the pond to your waterfall? Do you have a skimmer with a hole in the side? If so, raising it is probably not feasible.

In any case, adding a shelf or using one along the side and adding plants on the right will hide the edge

Reaction score
Country
United States
How does water get out of the pond to your waterfall? Do you have a skimmer with a hole in the side? If so, raising it is probably not feasible.

In any case, adding a shelf or using one along the side and adding plants on the right will hide the edge
Well I thought it pulled it from the bottom because I see a hose in there but now that I’m looking closer maybe there is a skimmer back there under the waterfall because that looks like where the highest water level is.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if it is preformed it probably has no skimmer ,they are not made for them and guessing the pot is the only thing that filters it .Do you see the pump in the bottom of the pond as it may have a foam filter in it

Reaction score
Country
United States
if it is preformed it probably has no skimmer ,they are not made for them and guessing the pot is the only thing that filters it .Do you see the pump in the bottom of the pond as it may have a foam filter in it
There is a plastic cage in the bottom and I think the hose comes out of that and goes around to somewhere under the pot and rocks. There is a filter that is a big canister with balls in it. That is over behind/beside the pot and covered with rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If that's the case, then there is no reason you should not be able to get the water to the top of the preformed liner unless one of two things are true: 1) there is a hole in the liner or 2) the liner is not level. Maybe you don't need/want to, but you should able to.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
In looking at the picture, it appears the edge back towards the waterfall is lower than the edge at the bottom of the picture. The preform may have settled some and is now not level.

Actually where that curve is in the liner, that appears to be a lot lower. You could pack some dirt on the outside and raise the edge.

I could be totally wrong but it appears that the edge is going down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the not level theory is a good one maybe not as easy to fix though. I think my next step will be adding more soil on that right side and try planting some creeping plants. Thank you so much for the tips and ideas. I’m thinking this will turn in to a fun hobby!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could also raise the level and then use some flagstone that "caps" the edge. I would mingle that with your plants for a pretty look!

Ask a Question