In ground and above ground on my patio?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Has anyone done this before? I did a lot of research and can't find anything like this. I only have about a 6'x8' area to be able to go in ground (and it's not an ideal corner of the yard) but I'd like to extend the pond onto my patio as a raised pond as well. I was thinking I'd dig 2' deep and raise it up another 2' and extend it onto the patio. This would of course go from patio concrete to in ground on dirt, so wasn't sure how to accomplish that or even possible/advisable.

I'm not sure what I am doing at this point, just trying to figure out a general design/location to build. It's either a complete patio pond, 6x8 in ground or half and half. I have 2 spots to choose from, the one that goes in ground and onto the patio (either/or) which is kind of in the corner and in heavy shade, so I was leaning away from that but it allows me to go deeper than a pond patio alone. The other side of the patio is more in the area I'd prefer the pond, where there is better lighting but will be all on the patio. I can extend about 2' off into the yard, once again (different side) but can't dig there, if I can do a half and half build.

I have a ton more questions about the build but for now I need to focus on determining what I want then I can plan the build.

I may post some pictures of the yard later see if anyone has ideas where to start.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't see why you couldn't do that, you would want to use some type of underlayment for both concrete and ground and make sure the transition was smooth from one to the other but it sounds neat. Do you have any pictures of where you're thinking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I'll get some pics tonight, but I just trimmed my white oak so there is a bunch of brush there right now where I can dig. I'll snap some pics of the yard when I go home in about 30 minutes.

I think my biggest hesitation in doing this will be if the patio shifts what it would do to the raised section of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like a drop off aquarium design style.
Is this design kind of what you have in mind?

dropoff-reef-aquarium-6.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Yeah, technically. I've seen lots of people try to emulate that reef, although I admittedly didn't consider it anything like that. I want to go in ground for depth and want to use the patio to extend the pond into more of the entertaining area.

While we are posting reef pictures here is mine: http://imgur.com/a/tW92X

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Nice reef set up.:)

Stability is going to be the biggest challenge for setting up a pond like that though. It depends on how ambitious you are.
The last thing you want is a crack between the upper and lower levels.
What were you thinking as far as the overall pond construction? Cinder block and concrete? Wood framing with a liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Thanks.

I agree, stability is also my biggest concern.

I've thought about both types of construction, but I honestly don't know enough of the pros/cons of each yet and how it will apply to the type of pond I ultimately decide on building. I am open to suggestions and advice.

Here is my yard.

http://imgur.com/a/MWecp

Unfortunately the back has a 15' easement with utilities so I can't dig there. The pile of brush is where I can dig. 10' long and 6' wide. Not sure how deep I can go but I was thinking 18-24" and building up another 24" if I do a raised pond. I wanted to extend it on the concrete from there, but even I think that might be a bad idea. This area doesn't get much sun and is kind of around the corner from the patio, so not the perfect spot but doable.

The other option is to build it completely raised on the patio where the table and chairs are. I have plenty of space here and it gets good morning to afternoon sun, which would be better for plants but will warm the water a bit more here in Texas. The size of this area is 6-7' wide and up to 16' long if I desired.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think for how much work it would be to try and make a 2 level pond, it would be much simpler to take a concrete saw and cut your patio back to make a single level pond as big as you would like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
That is an option I have considered. I can't cut the slab on the sunny side as there are utilities running under there too.

When building an above ground do people use liners with only the wood frame or with concrete/cinder blocks as well?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When building an above ground do people use liners with only the wood frame or with concrete/cinder blocks as well?
I have read of people using liners for both.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
One of my ponds is a raised block pond , it's half in the grass and half on my side patio.
I just poured a footing around the grass part , and laid the blocks
The rest I set right on the patio
I haven't had a issue yet

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I probably still got some of the build ,it was. Few ponds ago
A footing is just concreet, I probably made it 18" wide and 3" thick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I think I decided to build this completely on the patio on the sunnier side. That way I have room to work, less debris from trees overhead, more central to entertaining area and more sun for plants and I should be able to build it with access from all sides.

I modeled out my yard last night so I can play with some design ideas to see how they fit/look.

I have a few questions though.

I am planning on using a liner with either a stone/wood frame. I'd like to have a bog as well as shelves inside for more vegetation. How do you build shelves in a raised pond? Any recommendations for stone or wood? I like the look of stone but wood seems like I'd have a little more freedom in the shape.

ldv5Kuc.png

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could always do the bog on the patio and the pond below in the yard. If you are going with above ground you could use concrete blocks underneath for shelves and cover with carpet or underlayment.

Ask a Question