in ground pond coping

Reaction score
Hey folks seeking some advice/tips/hints on hiding the pond liner for an in ground pond and securing coping stone.

The pond is 8 feet wide by 11 feet long in an oval shape.

I am looking at places flagstone that is roughly two inches thick and 3 feet by 3 feet in an irregular shape. Ideally I would like to over hang the edge by a couple inches to help hide some liner, but I'm not sure how to secure the rock. Would just mortaring the rocks together in place work?

Also the vertical sides, how can I get a few inches worth of rock secure there as well.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Thanks both for the replies so far. Tbendl, nice build thread, and I had the same episodes of crying, swearing, and sweating.

Reaction score
Here is a pic of where we are with the pond now

Attachments

• IMG_20141206_101619.jpg
    IMG_20141206_101619.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
It's looking good! Is there a shelf below the surface or is it a sheer drop? I was thinking rocks for the edging.

Having a shelf would have been me actually thinking through the finishing touches on the pond, which obviously didn't happen.

I figured large flat sand stone pieces could over hang the top and with the water at the right height liner would not be too visible. I am starting to rethink that approach and want to try and get rocks set on the vertical portion, if possible.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have the same issue. The only concern with having the rocks jut out over the edge is that you will walk on them. I promise. You want to get close to the pond or you have creatures that will want to get close to the edge. And if they overhang, there is a concern that they could break and or fall in, even if you mortar them in place.
And unless you are completely level, you will still be able to see the liner underneath. (That is my issue). The only option that I had found was making a pirated rock version of sissy's sock. Here's that link
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/sissys-sock.15821/

It has worked out great and I plan on finishing the rest of the areas that I can see with these next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry we cant help as our pond is free standing but welcome from a bitterly cold Plymouth UK , but your in the right hands with our other members ponds

Dave

Reaction score
I have the same issue. The only concern with having the rocks jut out over the edge is that you will walk on them. I promise. You want to get close to the pond or you have creatures that will want to get close to the edge. And if they overhang, there is a concern that they could break and or fall in, even if you mortar them in place.
And unless you are completely level, you will still be able to see the liner underneath. (That is my issue). The only option that I had found was making a pirated rock version of sissy's sock. Here's that link
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/sissys-sock.15821/

It has worked out great and I plan on finishing the rest of the areas that I can see with these next spring.

Pretty nifty idea there.

I am kinda leaning towards the Rock on a Roll product. Anyone with experience with it?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think Addy1 has used it and maybe j.w. and Lisaebetten. Check their showcases and see. I think Addy1 used it for the edge of her bog which might be the closest for what you want to use it for. Hopefully they will weigh in. I went with the sock so I could put rocks and flowers this spring to cover the liner. I also don't have a flat surface and thought the RNR might be hard to install.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's not too late to pull back the liner foot by foot and dig out a short shelf all around the whole pond. It would take some maneuvering but in the long run you would be glad. Then put rocks on that shelf and top it off w/your flat rocks and no liner to be seen. If your soil is very hard it will be worse but if sandy it should not be too bad. But if you feel it is too much work then the other options are available.
IMG_6046.JPG

Reaction score
Having a shelf would have been me actually thinking through the finishing touches on the pond, which obviously didn't happen.

I figured large flat sand stone pieces could over hang the top and with the water at the right height liner would not be too visible. I am starting to rethink that approach and want to try and get rocks set on the vertical portion, if possible.

11 months later I am still struggling with this issue. I didn't think it through either. I assumed my hubby would just fix it ..... :( you need a ledge to 'fix it'. LOL.

Good luck!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Also you should put a berm of soil around the top edge to ward off any runoff during rain storms. You don't want mud and debris flowing into your pond.
No runoff going into my pond.
IMG_5207.JPG

Ask a Question