in layman's turms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me in layman's turms how I can juggle ammonia, nitrite and most of all nitrate levels in my pond as I do not have any pond plants,
do I adopt the techniques of not running my uv all the time (as I always do)
In the small pond I had a few plants and to be honest I didn't do water readings
but in the new pond I now do water readings, 5 feet depth no shelves and no plants,
I am on top of ammonia and nitrite but now concerned with nitrate leves this is mind blowing to me!!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can anyone please tell me in layman's turms how I can juggle ammonia, nitrite and most of all nitrate levels in my pond as I do not have any pond plants,
do I adopt the techniques of not running my uv all the time (as I always do)
In the small pond I had a few plants and to be honest I didn't do water readings
but in the new pond I now do water readings, 5 feet depth no shelves and no plants,
I am on top of ammonia and nitrite but now concerned with nitrate leves this is mind blowing to me!!!

If you have fish, you will have Nitrate. Koi, and Goldfish, are able to tolerate quite high levels of Nitrate (1000 mg/l+) but likely will experience increasing levels of stress as this level is approached. However, It would be an extremely rare occurrence if a pond were to experience levels of over even 100 mg/L. with a level of less than 20 mg/l being the norm.
Nature has mechanisms in place for, under normal conditions, controlling Nitrate levels.......algae and plants.
In a dedicated Koi pond which has no plants this leaves algae to naturally control Nitrate levels. If algae growth is prevented by the use of algaecides, chemical or mechanical, Nitrate levels will steadily increase. The only control option remaining is the practice of partial water changes. These, however, only reduce the Nitrate level by the percent of water change. For instance, If a pond exhibits a NItrate level of 20 mg/L, a 20% water change will reduce this by the same 20% or to a level of 16 mg/L.
In your case, Slick, the idea that you expressed of adding a Phyto-filter would eliminate this concern. As is, Nitrate levels will present more of a problem with water CLARITY than water QUALITY.
That is as close to 'Layman's terms' as I can come. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my experience with goldfish (both common and fancy) the fancy goldfish do not tolerate high levels of nitrate for very long. Commons seem to be much more hardy in that respect. The fancy goldfish start having buoyancy issues and don't seem to recover very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for your time and input im trying to think of an idea of suspending pots containing pond plants,
im thinking of either buckets with holes in fastened to one of the long lengths of the pond (rims at water level )
Some type of trough on the pond side or an elaborate system of wiat for it water level hanging baskets for a pond of around 1800 gallon has anyone got an idea of how many plants I'll need and any suggestions on what type of plants I should use?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In my experience with goldfish (both common and fancy) the fancy goldfish do not tolerate high levels of nitrate for very long. Commons seem to be much more hardy in that respect. The fancy goldfish start having buoyancy issues and don't seem to recover very well.
What is this numerical level for fancy goldfish?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your time and input im trying to think of an idea of suspending pots containing pond plants,
im thinking of either buckets with holes in fastened to one of the long lengths of the pond (rims at water level )
Some type of trough on the pond side or an elaborate system of wiat for it water level hanging baskets for a pond of around 1800 gallon has anyone got an idea of how many plants I'll need and any suggestions on what type of plants I should use?

On the surface, seems like a good idea. The one, and main, drawback is that the Koi will destroy whatever root structure is exposed looking for tid-bit micro-organisms to much on.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you tested your source water? It seems that 50 mg/L of Nitrate is the maximum acceptable level in drinking water in the UK. Only 10 mg/L is allowed here in the U.S.. This is quite a large difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's why I thought of placing the plant baskets in side plastic buckets with small holes drilled in for water flow but may protect most of the root system the buckets will then be fixed to the pond cappings t just below water level
sounds a bit mad I know

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dam no I haven't tested the source water,
got a bit carried away with the pond testing,
I can now see how you have to also look sid ward's and not just at whats in front of you will test that tomorrow,
thank you for that I would never have thought of that

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's why I thought of placing the plant baskets in side plastic buckets with small holes drilled in for water flow but may protect most of the root system the buckets will then be fixed to the pond cappings t just below water level
sounds a bit mad I know

You would not really get any meaningful water flow around the plant roots. This is a must in a phyto-filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@sissy makes some kind of plant basket that hangs on the side of her ponds. I've had success using flowing baskets, the koi do nibble on their roots, but the roots grow os fast, it hasn't been a problem. I've heard other say their fish got trapped in the nets...only down side for me, was spawned eggs hatched in them.

Maybe @Dave 54 has some thoughts on nitrate levels in the UK, since he too lives there.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can make frames from pvc pipe for whatever size pot you want to use and adjust for the depth. I have a 10x10x5 pond with large koi so can't have plants. I have an above ground pond so I fastened window boxes to the top edge and have tubing keeping the boxes watered. No dirt, just foam. It softens the edges of a raised pond.
028.JPG
028.JPG
027.JPG
027.JPG
028.JPG
028.JPG 027.JPG 028.JPG 027.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how many holes do you have to put in the planter .I wonder if the extra hoses I have coming from my uv would work or would the uv cause problems with the plants .I use my plant pockets but that would work also since pond water would be running through the roots and back into the pond .It would help clean the water

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads