morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
For those of you that have larger ponds, using 1.5-2" hoses, I would suggest installing quick-disconnects in the hoses for ease of blow-out prior to winter. The quick-disconnects are readily available at most pool supply companies and are quick and easy to install. All that's needed is a hacksaw, PVC cement and the quick-disconnect fitting itself.

I mention this as I've encountered ponds that were incorrectly shut down for winter and have subsequently developed a burst in the hose. Invariably, these hoses were buried underground and now have trees, one ton plus boulders, interlock, etc. over top of the damaged hose.

In situations such as this, hose repair is not impossible, just ridiculously expensive as it involves deconstruct and repair, followed by reconstruct. In situations such as this it is better to seal the input to the waterfall filter with waterfall foam and run new lines from the pumps to the waterfall filter using PVC elbows, etc. at ground level. The new lines can be disguised using additional plantings or rockery.

Many ponds are designed incorrectly, where there is no ability to make repairs to buried hoses due to the overlying landscape.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I fully agree with you, morewater. Several years back, I got a call from a lady who wanted me to replace a 4,000 gph pump because it had slowly been shutting down, to the point where only a tiny trickle of water was going over the falls. I disconnected the pump, turned it on, and was greeted by a 20' fountain! Turns out the original builder had used 2" swimming pool hose, burying it under a limestone boulder the size of a small car. A week of rain had softened the ground, allowing the boulder to settle a few inches, slowly restricting the flow. I had to dig a small tunnel around the hose, and the flow returned to normal. So far, so good!
John

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hope you charged large.

Swimming pool hose.....ridiculous. I've seen "ponds" lined with tarps....equally ridiculous. However, when you quote on a tear-out, a re-line with EPDM........

I generally demonstrate with hose by standing on the hose (corrugated vs. smooth) and emphasize proper winter shut-down.

I've had people who, to save money, opt to "shut down" their pond themselves. Their idea of "shut down" is to pull the plug on the pump. Voila, shut down.

One customer couldn't understand how the buried line ruptured over the winter, sending several hundred pounds of soil and mulch downhill into the pond. Despite my having explained that merely pulling the plug on the pump doesn't drain the line, I couldn't get through. Result, garden dig-up, line replace, garden repair.

Oh well, if it doesn't hurt you physically or financially, you just don't learn from it.

Reaction score
I use unions on my lines as quick connects are way too expensive. Also quick connects don't work very well if they are being installed on the inlet side of a pump although I don't know why one would put one on that side. But either way the lines do need to be drained.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you talking about unions? I'll be [eventually] converting to FLEX PVC and this is the only kind of quick-connects I know of to use with PVC. I couldn't function without some kind of quick-connect -- well, I could, but they sure do make things easier and less of a PITA.

Ask a Question