In NC and revitalizing my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Visiting this forum to get some ideas to make my pond better. While visiting a bed and breakfast in Beaufort NC, I saw a beautiful backyard pond and became inspired to improve my pond. In doing internet research, I came across this forum and decided to stay a while. I have had an approx. 500 gallon pond now for about 10 years. I have some koi and some koi/goldfish hybrids as well as frogs and an occasional yellow bellied slider. Most of my fish were born in my pond as well as many of the frogs. Last year we added a waterfall. We are constantly looking for ways to improve upon the water clarity. 76060545-4D66-4059-9A22-0A72C190DC78.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
hello and welcome you came to the right site
what filtration are you currently using for your lovely 500 g pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I live just 15 minutes from the NC border and a hardy welcome from me .Get koi clay it buffers the water .It will turn the water cloudy and then it clears up and you will be amazed .I buy 6 lbs off ebay

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a mechanical pump filter with sponges to create biological filtration in the bottom of the pond and also one in the waterfall. I have a a clarifier which takes care of water algae. I still have some algae on the sides of the pond but I think that is a good thing. All pumps and filters are rated at well above the size of my pond. Unfortunately, my pond location is near trees which provide shade but also a lot of debris, so that is a constant battle. I also find the plants to be helpful to create some filtration. My current problem is a lot of tiny debris floating in the water. I know If I change my filters more often, it will help.

Ask a Question