In the Shade

Reaction score
I went to a garden recently that had the pond in the middle of a wooded area and there were fish! I asked about the leaves and she said they put a screen over it in the fall. It was amazing and so natural looking that it definitely has me rethinking my own pond plans!

Does anyone else have a pond in the shade?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have coral trees planted around mine, along with a lot of bamboo. They all drop leaves. I have my gardener clean them up once a week and my wife and I try to get as many as possible from the pond before they sink when he is not here. When we get "Santa Anna winds", it is a Southern California phenomena that brings hot winds off the desert, the leaves that are loose get blown into the ponds. I just net them out if my raccoon and GBH netting is not down.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dr. Dave - we'd probably have to put out netting for animals as well if we do put in fish. We live in the woods (although our dogs are pretty good at keeping them run off).

Reaction score
My pond is in the corner of the yard directly under a large tree. In the summer, the pond gets about 3 hours of direct sun total. It is nice beause the algae growth is reduced. Luckily the tree has small thin leaves that float for several days before sinking so I am able to net them out once a day. It just sucks when the wind blows because I have 7 other trees in my yard.

Reaction score
mine is under the oning pf my patio...i have floating plants in mine...no other plants since it would be too hard beacuse of the above ground aspect of it

Ask a Question