Increasing pond size/depth

Reaction score
I've been struggling with how to increase my pond size and depth without totally redoing it. Right now it's about 2100 gallons, 16X 7.5 X 3.5. When we dug it I intended it to be 38 inches deep at the shallow end and 50 inches deep at the other. I used straight boards to ensure that all sides were level and when all was said and done I ended up with 32 inches shallow and 42 deep.

Pulling everything out and digging deeper is not a welcome idea even though up till now that's what I figured would have to be done. But instead, what do you think of this idea. going up.

Ringing the entire pond with a 24 in wall: about 2 ft out on one long side, 1 foot on the other long side and 2 feet on one short end. That would make the pond 18 X 10 X about 5.5 ft average.

The great thing about this plan would be leaving the existing system as is during construction. When I'm ready I'll have to find a place for the fish and what'd I'd do is put in a bigger liner and rebuild the waterfall.

I'm not sure though--can you just put one liner in on top of another? Is there any potential problems with trapped air? Or other problems?

I'm a little worried about my Koi with the shallow depth I have right now. But I can't get it changed in time for this winter. Probably occur during this winter, if it'll work.

What do you think?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i am thinking of a redo again myself...a ring of cinder block 2 corses high mortered in around rebar set 2 feet deep, finished off with rock veneer facing. this would put me at 4'+ deep and a extra foot all the way around in size, so 15'+ round and 4' deep. i'll see if i can squeeeeze it in my finances. one can only hope!!

Reaction score
Exactly what I'm thinking. Probably three courses though. I want another 2 ft. and those large cement framing blocks are 8" tall X 16 X 8. I dread working with them though because they are heavy.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dread buying them and a new liner and the stone facing and mortar, and capping stone and rebar and crushed stone and sand and etc...

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
If you have patients and some extra time you could always just watch "craigs list" Free section. I just check it whenever I get online and have collected about different concrete blocks from different people. Including 105 windsor stones (free standing retaining wall blocks that suround my pond) from one guy and about 40 building blocks from 2 different people. You just have to be ready to ponce when you see something you want and you can't be in a hurry to get all your stuff tomorrow.

Ask a Question