"Indian summer" feeding dilema

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by Abe, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Abe

Abe

Wondering if there is an established doctrine to deal with feeding common goldfish
    when temperature fluctuate wildly . I was checking my floating thermometer every morning,
    getting ready to reduce daily feeding of my 14 goldies when it will reach 12 C and stop
    feeding when it reach 10 C - when a cold front moved in abruptly and night temperatures
    sank down to 7 C grey & windy , The fish disappeared into a cave I built under the skimmer
    at the deepest end of the pond and rarely came out for the whole week that this cold spell
    lasted. I guess they did start hibernating and I was ready to crawl into a cave and hibernate myself .
    Now weather man predict a spike in temperatures next week , sunny days 24-26 and nights hovering
    above 10 C. i guess they'll want to go out for dinner and I know it's good to fatten them up
    before the real winter - so should I resume feeding? this warm spell might last few weeks,
    so is there a guide line? certain night temperature or day? I'm in BC Canada, in 6 weeks it will
    drop below zero , so why starve them now? or maybe they are on winter mode already and
    will not digest? Thank you guys and Bon Apetit to all. Abe

Abe, Sep 24, 2017
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Abe

Tula

I look to two things, as guidance to stop feeding my koi....water temperature and their interest in feeding :)

Tula, Sep 24, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Abe

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I would refine that even more.
    If your fish appear hungry, feed them. They are genetically attuned to what is good for them much better than Man can fathom.
    I refer you to this article:
    https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/to-feed-or-not-to-feed.12/

Meyer Jordan, Sep 24, 2017
    Nyboy, teeemkay, Gemma and 2 others like this.
  4. Abe

Tula

I agree, it's amazing how they lose interest at the right time.

Tula, Sep 24, 2017
    teeemkay and Gemma like this.
  5. Abe

Abe

Thanks for this very informative article - really clarify this subject for me.
    Do they really like to eat grass?!
    got plenty of this all around the pond, and was always very careful not to get any grass blades
    flying into the pond when I was mowing ...

Abe, Sep 24, 2017
  6. Abe

Abe

Thanks - I try to tune in to their feeding habits - although it is personal : there is the one that's always
    first at the table and the one that seems bored with same pellets every day...

Abe, Sep 24, 2017
  7. Abe

teeemkay

I agree too. The fish know when they're done eating for the season. Usually right around Columbus Day, my koi completely lose interest in the food pellets really quickly. If they get hungry after that, they nibble on what's left of the algae along the edges of the water.

teeemkay, Sep 26, 2017
  8. Abe

Lisak1

Agree completely! Watch your fish - they'll let you know!

Lisak1, Sep 26, 2017
  9. Abe

barryian

Hope all is well ... Great weather so I'm more outside than in. Good article Meyer, Thx! . So as the article says " 60 hours at 12ÂșC/54F " to digest would seem that at 54F if you are still feeding, you might want feed once every 3 - 4 days. Common sense. At that temperature, overfeeding is just looking for trouble ....

barryian, Oct 7, 2017
  10. Abe

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

This is true at any temperature. Humans are the only animal specie that will continue to eat even after they are full. Fish, and all other animals, will eat to satiation and stop. So if anything is overfed, it is the pond, not the fish.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 7, 2017
    barryian likes this.
  11. Abe

Mucky_Waters

Don't mean to be picky, but that's just not true. There are plenty of animals that will continue to eat beyond satiation if provided an abundance of food. Combined that with a lack of regular exercise and obesity is quite common in all kinds of animals, especially pets.
    Of course that's not the problem with over feeding fish in cold or cooler weather, if there is a problem it is having the uneaten food foul the water as you indicated.

[​IMG]

Mucky_Waters, Oct 7, 2017
    Abe likes this.
  12. Abe

Abe

Now it's 7 C water temperature in the morning , and they don't come out till the afternoon,
    and still don't miss their sunset pellets hunt ritual. Not a lot , but they do eat.
    You almost hear them saying to each other - we got him trained already, let him have his
    sunset happy hour.
    I think Meyer that with humans eating evolved into social ritual (thanksgiving?) were
    abundance of food goes beyond just filling your tummy - you fill your ego and status as well.

Abe, Oct 7, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  13. Abe

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Yes, I should have been more specific.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question